Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising, Marketing & Sales

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM

petrinoda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Every Door Direct Mail - USPS

Quick question regarding it. I've noticed some websites offer printing specifically for that, while others just print regular brochures, flyers etc etc...

My question is these places offering "special" printing for EDDM flyers, brochures etc etc... is it a necessity you get this type of printing for your EDDM campaign?

If so.... What's the difference between them and Uprinting, Vistaprint.. etc etc? Like do they add a postage area or something on the template? I'm just not getting the whole "special" eddm printing idea other than the advertising and getting people to buy more expensive printing.

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM

SilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the rough

There are specific requirements in regards to flyer/postcard size, bundling, and the printing and location of the label and the permit indicia. You could have anybody print them, but if they don't meet guidelines, you could have big problems.
Personally, I'd be willing to pay a little more per piece to someone who knows the program and requirements....rather than take the chance.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM

petrinoda is an unknown quantity at this point

I am willing to pay, but only if it's something that's necessary. I know of the specific requirements, but as far as the printing goes if it's something that can be done by uprinting or vista I'd rather have it done by them and do the other labor myself.

I'm just wondering if there is a need for these special companies to print my brochures for me or if I can go to the people I've been dealing with for awhile.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM

LolaJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no special place for that. But I know of a specific online printing company which could deliver quality outputs. Try PrintPlace.com.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 AM

jmatt is on a distinguished road

As long as the indicia and size are correct, it can be printed anywhere. I use GotPrint, they allow you to specifically size for EDDM. Before I started my campaign, I contacted the PO and sent them a copy to be sure everything was acceptable.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM

I have to admit, my response with EDDM has been abysmal. The piece is very nice looking and professionally done. It has a photo of our office building, my logo, bullet points listing all the great things about us, etc. Heavy cardstock 6x9 mailer, full color both sides with a shiny UV coating.

It's a nice looking piece.

I've sent out 8,000 pieces at this point and I think the response has been fewer than a dozen calls. I have a very recognizable and memorable brand, so it may have had some benefit in that regard.

But I think me and EDDM are about done.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
I have to admit, my response with EDDM has been abysmal. The piece is very nice looking and professionally done. It has a photo of our office building, my logo, bullet points listing all the great things about us, etc. Heavy cardstock 6x9 mailer, full color both sides with a shiny UV coating.

It's a nice looking piece.

I've sent out 8,000 pieces at this point and I think the response has been fewer than a dozen calls. I have a very recognizable and memorable brand, so it may have had some benefit in that regard.

But I think me and EDDM are about done.
We have been doing this with Money Mailer which I believe is cheaper (30,000 homes for about $1200) and we are probably breaking even, but I think its worth it. It gets our name out there, brings in customers that may never have found us other wise, and when we make them happy, they come back. We also took a different approach though. Here is an example of our first flier.

Since then we have done two others with different comics. We have gotten a good response and people love the comics. Also, since this comic, we had to change our coupons to $25 off (new customers only) because the coupons on this original flier did not have the same impact. Anyways, I think its good for some areas, but not necessarily for all.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Love your card. I'm a big fan of characters and humor to grab people's attention.

I did my mailings in 2 waves.

On the first 5,000 pieces I had a 10% off coupon and of the perhaps 10 responses I got on it, only one even asked about his discount.

So with the second batch, I removed the coupon and replaced it with an image of our office building, to confer an air of professionalism and legitimacy.

But looking at yours, I wish I had just reworked the coupon idea, perhaps even dedicated the entire piece to it.

I mailed out 3,000 pieces a week ago. I have received one phone call from a guy asking about our prices (he approved).

I think if I were to do it again, I would try to sell our product instead of our company.

Last edited by jmatt; 10-02-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM

ComputerCorner is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of cost was involved with the actual comic creation? Or was it done by you?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Just needs to match the guidelines that the USPS puts on their requirements section of the site. Print houses are using catchy phrases to make you think they're unique in supporting EDDM.

Wife and I use only local printing people...never will touch out of country places, I'm a firm firm believer in using local print people (as with any service). Supporting other local businesses returns business to you, good karma.

Do you want all the home and business computer users to go using remote support from habu in Indian with iyogi or something? Or you you want local people in your area to use you?

Think about that for a minute....

Now practice what you preach!

Both of the local print places in our area that we've used...have also given us business...after we used them.

Regarding EDDM....it's about getting your name out there...time and time again, and over a long time period. Don't expect to reap full rewards right away. You're getting your name out there...it will take many more times of getting your name out there until the rewards start coming in from this. It's about getting your name drilled into the heads of recipients.