Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM

grayfoxcomputing is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to grayfoxcomputing

Set to receive my Galaxy Nexus today. This is the second Android phone I've had - the first was a Dell Aero (great little phone but no support from Dell and stuck at 1.4 unless I want to download source code and update . . . not). Between these two, I've been using an iPhone 3G and then a 3GS. Both are solid and reliable but both were hand-me-downs and have seen their better days.

While I do like the "it just works"usability of iOS, it is becoming old to me. I don't want to jailbreak the phone just to get some cool features or download an app that should have been in the apps store anyway. Apple has made a lot if improvements

I know the new iPhone is supposed to be coming out in a few months but unless they really have a show-stopping phone, I should be happy with the Nexus. I waited for the 4 and then the 4S and was disappointed to say the least. All the hype for a phone that was a mild improvement (at least to me) on the older ones.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM

ComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the rough

Unless money is no object search for the plan first then decide on the phone later.

I discovered I would have saved over 7000 dollars over 5 years by having my phone on a prepaid plan and my wifes on a cheap unlimited
Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Screwloose is an unknown quantity at this point

when people ask what kind of Smartphone they should get between iPhone and Android I ask them if they like to tinker with their phone and do customizations ... if so I recommend the Android phones.... if not just get an iPhone.

I have a Samsung Nexus S 4g and I love it .... dont like thick clunky phones and my Nexus is one of the best I have found for ease of carrying and has all the features I want.

I would really suggest spending some time with both types of phones so you can get a hands on feel for them .... I have bought phones before based on recommendations and hated the one I bought.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 PM

Tekguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupdonnie View Post
Ok...let's throw something else into the equation. I have an iphone around the house that a family member gave to me, an 8gb, model a1241. Would it be worth it to use this phone for a while? I understand it would be fairly slow, but at least it would give me a chance to test out the iphone format until a new iphone comes out. I know if I wait until the iphone 5 comes out, I could probably pick up a 4 or 4s for cheaper. This inclines me to wait.
That model is the iPhone 3G. You could always buy an AT&T GoPhone for $10 - $20 & use the SIM card in your iPhone. That way you're not obligated to any contract & you can pay as you go.

I have an iPhone 3GS & really like it, but the big screens on the Android phones are really tempting. I'm probably going to wait & see how much bigger the screen is on the iPhone 5.
Anyone here using a Galaxy Note?

Last edited by Tekguy; 07-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM

shutupdonnie is an unknown quantity at this point

A know a woman who has the note and she likes it. The thing is big enough to be a small tablet and the screen looks like an hd tv. It seems like it's probably a good phone, but you would definitely need large pockets or possibly need a satchel to carry it in.

Computerrepairtech said go look at contracts before I go for a phone. That's kind of where I'm hung up. I've been with AT&T for a long time and I fear change. They've certainly screwed me hard a few times, but overall the service is at least what I would think is on par with any carrier, and the coverage is pretty good. But I'm pretty sure my contract is open now so I can go find somebody else or just stick with what I know. I wouldn't mind trying verizon or sprint but I don't know what their coverage/call reliability is like.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM

brock029 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Sprint coverage heavily depends on were your located. Being in south Texas we get great Att, Verizon, and Sprint coverage. With Sprint this was the first area to get 4g lte. I know people with sprint and they have no issues... And their $100 unlimited everything is awesome,
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM

stro has a spectacular aura aboutstro has a spectacular aura about

One other point I would make, is in weaker signal areas, the radios in Samsung phones suck. The iPhone 4 and the Motorola phones have way better reception.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 PM

shutupdonnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info/input/suggestions.

Anybody else have anything notable to throw in?