Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

HCHTech will become famous soon enough
Default Multiple AP setup - Residential

When you are setting up multiple APs, do you force non-overlapping channels on each AP or use the Auto setting? I've always struggled with the "best" answer to this.

In the past, I've noted other channels visible at each intended AP location and avoided those, but this seems haphazard since existing networks can be a moving target.

I had a large stone house (on the historic register!) in an urban neighborhood recently. Full plaster walls & ceilings. The main router was on the first floor, and we put APs in the basement, 2nd floor and 3rd floor to get full coverage. Each floor could see various neighbor-generated networks, so it was frustrating picking the right channels. Then, 2 months from now, a neighbor will get a new router and suddenly we'll have interference again.

Just wondering what other folks do.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

With unmanaged APs...I manually lock non overlapping channels in a pattern based on how they're laid out and contiguous with each other.

Here in the US, channels 1, 6, and 11.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM

npinc can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCHTech View Post
When you are setting up multiple APs, do you force non-overlapping channels on each AP or use the Auto setting? I've always struggled with the "best" answer to this.

In the past, I've noted other channels visible at each intended AP location and avoided those, but this seems haphazard since existing networks can be a moving target.

I had a large stone house (on the historic register!) in an urban neighborhood recently. Full plaster walls & ceilings. The main router was on the first floor, and we put APs in the basement, 2nd floor and 3rd floor to get full coverage. Each floor could see various neighbor-generated networks, so it was frustrating picking the right channels. Then, 2 months from now, a neighbor will get a new router and suddenly we'll have interference again.

Just wondering what other folks do.
There are four non-overlapping channels in the 20 Mhz bandwidth. 1,5,9 and 13. In the 40 MHz bandwidth there are only two, 3 and 11. I typically use channel 1 or 9. Some network devices have issues with channel 11 and above.

Last edited by npinc; 07-27-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Yes - I know what channels are available. The question was auto selection vs. manual. I have typically used manual, but was wondering if using auto selection would be a better answer particularly in a crowded environment like an urban neighborhood.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 AM

npinc can only hope to improve

Quote:
Yes - I know what channels are available. The question was auto selection vs. manual. I have typically used manual, but was wondering if using auto selection would be a better answer particularly in a crowded environment like an urban neighborhood.
Fair enough. How would it make any difference? You're in an unregulated frequency band that's subject to all kinds of interference. The best chance of reliable success is channel 1 and 9. That's why I mentioned that and why I use manual selection.

Personally, I'd get a microwave transmitter and park it in their backyard. Pump a few hundred watts through it for oh, I dunno, three weeks? That'll put an end to that problem right quick.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 AM

Yeah, that should do it. Lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Quote:
I have typically used manual, but was wondering if using auto selection would be a better answer particularly in a crowded environment like an urban neighborhood.
If it's a home...I'd want to do auto....I don't like to make return calls to fix it if a situation like a neighbor gets a new device and steps on their toes. So in this case...auto.

For a business..which is 99% of my business, and where I'll more likely have a couple of APs....I prefer manually locking them. Since I'm often onsite, it's not an issue to monitor and make changes if necessary.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM

Yes, that's exactly it. Multiple AP situations for residential are rare, but they do come along a few times per year. The next time I have one, I'll do the Auto thing and just see how it goes.

Tags
multiple wap, networking