Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM

CLC is on a distinguished road
Default Lenovo S10 FRU: 42W8294 Type 4333-AT1 Motherboard Question

I don't do motherboard repair, but I have a question about this one. It wont power up, was after a storm and I'm sure something on the board fried. Under the power button there is round black plastic piece inside a square black plastic piece it says 100pf and it looks kind of melted. Is this some type of fuse that can be replaced? I usually only do swaps but I found this interesting. I'll try to post a pic later.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

aggieg33k is on a distinguished road

It probably has a bad capacitor check to see if they are bubbled up or leaking anything? Typically, it is not worth the time to fix.

If the computer is older than 3 years, suggest that it is a good time to upgrade and charge them for transferring their old data to the new one.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLC View Post
I don't do motherboard repair, but I have a question about this one. It wont power up, was after a storm and I'm sure something on the board fried. Under the power button there is round black plastic piece inside a square black plastic piece it says 100pf and it looks kind of melted. Is this some type of fuse that can be replaced? I usually only do swaps but I found this interesting. I'll try to post a pic later.
Sometimes when a mobo on a really old machine is dead I will swap the whole base if its available. Check ebay for "FRU: 42W8294" the people at LaptopAid seem to have a few and they are dirt cheap with more than just the mobo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-S10-F...-/290731847550
Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

I've already thought about replacing the mobo or offering a transfer, which are both feasible. Here are some pics of the burnt area that I mentioned. The camera on my phone is not too great.

Last edited by CLC; 07-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Update: customer decided they would just like to buy a new one. Anyway now the laptop is mine so fixing it might be worthwhile.

Last edited by CLC; 07-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.