Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM

madmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Just installed my first one today. Customer supplied it they just wanted me to install and clone over there original boot drive. Pretty painless and boy does the laptop boot fast now.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

I use them myself because I LOVE the speed. Upgraded MBA to faster 6G ssd (owc). iMac has one (ocz), and two PCs (crucial). However, I've already had 2 die in the past year (owc and ocz), they lasted about 4-5 months. They are not reliable at all.

I now backup my main computer (MBA) to two different external drives (one is the original drive that came with MBA) and to a time machine drive (so data in 3 places). I'm super paranoid about loosing data (especially since I can't usually recover a failed SSD, as I don't have flash recovery tools yet, still waiting for them to improve).

In our Mac repair business, we don't install in client computers unless they supply us with the drive.

But, if anyone is considering an SSD for themselves, you really can't go wrong as long as you backup religiously. The speed is just astonishing (and yes, anytime I use a non-ssd computer it's PAINFULLY slow).
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Kim101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed a 30GB SSD with Windows 7. It can become a little tight with programs, but I happened to already have a TB storage drive that I kept, and I just turned my old boot volume.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road

We have been using SSDs in our home and business custom built computers since January. (Along with a regular HDD for data) Results have been fantastic -- only one failure (a Mushkin Chronos 120GB however I don't believe it was the SSDs fault. Long story short: We received a bad batch of corsair 400W PSUs. This client received one and continued to turn on her computer multiple times after it shut-down--ultimately causing the failure of the SSD or so it would seem.)

PS. Did an office upgrade back in December/Jan also -- client was using 4 or so Dell Q6000 towers with 4GB of RAM and 500GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA drives. The computers were slow and they were considering replacing them. All else being fine and them not wanting to learn a new OS, added PC $$ etc. we upgraded the drives to SSDs and what an amazing difference it was! Not a single hitch with any of the SSDs and the client loves the new speed. Any other software issues they have had after-- their computers are a DREAM to remote into they are so fast.

PPS. Did a service call this AM. Client bought a custom PC back with us in January (120GB OCZ SSD) The power went out yesterday TWICE and now their computer won't boot - Oh no Went out to take a look and it was just some software corruption of the registry -- the SSD was perfect! Sold him a UPS
Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

I just got a Samsung 830 series 256 for a customer's machine. Have to say I was very impressed with the kit itself, which comes with some nice extras.

The drive is low profile and has a spacer bracket for laptop installation. It also comes with a SATA-> USB adapter, a copy of Norton Ghost for the migration, and software, similar to Intel Toolkit:

Quote:
The Samsung SSD Magician software facilitates easy maintenance and use of Samsung SSD products connected to a desktop or notebook computer.

In addition to providing information about the user’s system and SSD product, Samsung SSD Magician also supports advanced features, like SSD performance management, benchmarking for optimum performance, new firmware updates, etc.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 08-15-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 AM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
I just got a Samsung 830 series 256 for a customer's machine.
That series from Samsung seems to be getting very good reviews so far. If this keeps up I might start looking into putting a few in customers machines.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 AM

Galdorf will become famous soon enough

I picked up some seagate momentus xt drives 500g for 70 bucks they are hybrid copied over drive and did tests with online games wow huge increase in speed.
Loading times were blink of eye compared to 10-20 secs avg load times.
Going to add this to our gaming system build list it's worth buying for more performance.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM

uprighttech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdorf View Post
I picked up some seagate momentus xt drives 500g for 70 bucks they are hybrid copied over drive and did tests with online games wow huge increase in speed.
Loading times were blink of eye compared to 10-20 secs avg load times.
Going to add this to our gaming system build list it's worth buying for more performance.
That is a great price on the drives! Where did you get them? Saw them on Amazon today for $78. That was the cheapest price I had seen.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

My wifes laptop had been slowing down and sometimes locking up...or at least being unresponsive when working with lots open and large files like her Outlook Anywhere to our Exchange a the office....large OST.

Being near 3 years old, I decided to put in a new HD. Newegg had a sale a few weeks ago on drives...I picked up a Seagate Momentus XT series...one of those hybrid drives....standard plus a solid state component. Have to say....WOW, performance of the laptop has been great, boots up quicker, works briskly now with many files open.

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...tus-xt-hybrid/
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road

+1 on the Seagate hybrid drive. Put a 750GB in a customer's Sony laptop recently. Opening files and programs was like instantaneous. No spinning circle waiting whatsoever.