Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM

WDHIII is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mac Rookie needs quick advice

I just got a call from a guy that is about to purchase a Quad-core Mac Pro from another guy on craigslist. He says it is new in the box and wants me to come by and set it up (in like, 1 hour).

The first thing I am going to do is run the serial number to see if it is stolen!

After that, what are some of the essentials that need to be installed on a new Mac? And what should I expect when first booting up?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Wil
Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 AM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDHIII View Post
what are some of the essentials that need to be installed on a new Mac
It's probably good to go.

Quote:
And what should I expect when first booting up?
It's really hard to say. You may want to install a fresh OS unless it's loaded with software already. If loaded, then delete current user and make a new one (unless it's already clean).
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 AM

Default Done

Well, I did the job and had no issues. The computer was actually a brand new, still in the box, Mac Pro circa 2007! It came with Tiger.

All I did was set it up (actually a little confused about the monitor's plug) and run Software Update until no more updates found, then gave a crude tutorial on how to use it.

Customer seemed happy and ready to learn more about his Mac. I did advise him to upgrade to Mountain Lion when he could and to think about increasing the ram (1gb installed).

BTW, he traded an old Jaguar for the computer!!

Thanks for the help. Now to finally get myself a Mac.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 AM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear it went well! Always good advice for new Mac users is to check out their tutorial videos. If PC converts, they have videos just for them -- like "this is how you used to do X on your PC," "This is how you do X on a Mac." Very good for beginners.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDHIII View Post
Customer seemed happy and ready to learn more about his Mac. I did advise him to upgrade to Mountain Lion when he could and to think about increasing the ram (1gb installed).

From 2007, it probably will not run Mountain Lion. It should run Lion, but it definitely needs ram if he's going to try to upgrade to either one.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300DDR View Post
Glad to hear it went well! Always good advice for new Mac users is to check out their tutorial videos. If PC converts, they have videos just for them -- like "this is how you used to do X on your PC," "This is how you do X on a Mac." Very good for beginners.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
I think I will tale a look at those videos, thanks for the links
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

That system wont run Mountain Lion. I'd put at least 12-16 gigs of RAM in it and install Lion. A few personal faves of mine for Mac are dropbox, appcleaner, Ccleaner, Firefox, Liquid CD, Miro video converter, and Cloudapp just to name a few.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
That system wont run Mountain Lion. I'd put at least 12-16 gigs of RAM in it and install Lion.
Yeah, Ditto on upping the RAM. RAM is supposed to be installed in these machines in pairs in a specific order. There are two memory risers, each containing four slots. For that configuration if I remember correctly, if adding a pair you install a pair in the top riser, and the next pair goes in the bottom riser. If different size pairs are combined keep like sizes together on same riser. Running 10.4.x on that thing at this point is going to be problematic with even trying to surf the web or install Firefox or any other third party apps at this point. To upgrade from 10.4.x (Tiger) to 10.7.4 (Lion), he will need to get a 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) retail install disk first. Then he can purchase Lion through the app store online. But just upgrading to Snow Leopard for the time being should be fine. Personally I'm staying with 10.6.8 as long as I possibly can.

One last thing, keep the machine off the floor or at least elevated a foot or two from the ground. The fans in these machines are so powerful they suck in dust and lint better than a Hoover. If I had a dollar for every one of these things I see with a quilt of dust and lint wrapped around the processor heatsinks, I'd have a good amount of money. So to keep it relatively clean and cool and not shorten the machines life, keep it elevated and in a relatively clean enviroment.

Last edited by anonymous Mac Tech; 07-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the info, looks like I have some up-selling to do.

Wil
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Zippin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
Yeah, Ditto on upping the RAM. RAM is supposed to be installed in these machines in pairs in a specific order. There are two memory risers, each containing four slots. For that configuration if I remember correctly, if adding a pair you install a pair in the top riser, and the next pair goes in the bottom riser. If different size pairs are combined keep like sizes together on same riser.
Also, if i'm not mistaken, that machine supports fully bufferd ram only.