Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 PM

SouthernTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Education is important and getting the best setup for the customer is ideal. But the some of the missing details of the restaurant left a few variable to be taken into account. I feel it would just be a good thing to show the reason for the budget increase, or increments along the way and possibly upfront costs vs potential upgrade to further sell it. Of course, without further details, I'm just going to a default small restaurant. A much bigger restaurant? Your suggestion is definitely more valid.

I hadn't seen the Ubi hardware before. I might try them out after I finish testing the Watchguard X-25W.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 AM

mau64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
The difference in money really isn't much.....I'm sure the "budget" project with 250 dollar hardware budget will end up being over 500 bucks once his time/labor charges are added in.

I'm a believe in educating the customer in the differences in hardware, quality, performance...and usually it becomes an easy well. Or....you could lower yourself to a geek squad/"Linksys ranger" budget tech standard and keep pushing home grade stuff in a biz environment that does the job poorly.

Which one do you want to hang your reputation on?

If it's some small coffee shop..yeah they have small budgets, but he mentions a restaurant and "far corners"....that means tables to me...lots of 'em. And the owners desire for good wifi tells me they're shooting for the corporate lunch crowd.

===>Thus good working free wifi is an important need for them...they'll cough up the cabbage.<===

Entry level biz grade router...250-300 bucks. Stay away from home grade.
2 or 3 Ubiquiti Unifi APs at 90 bucks/pop...heck without seeing the place, they might even be able to get away with a single Ubiquiti "LR" Unifi model placed in the ceiling in the middle...115 bucks. I've seen those LR models handle 18 clients at once and not even begin to break a sweat! If that's the case, brings it down to 400-ish hardware costs plus his time...all could be said and done in 800 bucks or even 700 bucks...not knowing what he charges for his time. And he can walk away knowing he delivered a product that not only met..but exceeded, the performance needs of the client. Now THAT is a way to build your reputation as a tech!
These are all great points, something I'll bring up to her when I meet them again. Do you have a default router you would use in this situation? I looked around at some on Newegg and they mostly have mediocre reviews. Nothing really stood out, even though some of the bad reviews were for terrible reasons.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM

ComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
I don't know about the second one, but the ASUS I've personally owned for a few months. I can say that the range is phenomenal compared to other products I have used, and goes through walls my older router wouldn't penetrate. It seems to be solid and stable, though I've heard of people using more advanced features that the firmware is buggy. All I do with it is set it up for dyndns, forward a few ports, and have it operate an isolated guest wlan. I have at any time at least 7 wireless devices connected to it including a Wii and Roku, PCs, etc. all streaming netflix and other junk and never had any issues. It is the best wireless router I have ever owned ... since my WRT54GL with DDWRT.
I have the Asus RT-N16 I am fairly certain I get wifi signal in my car at the end of my drive way which is through 4 walls and a car but I will try to remember to confirm when I get home. I can confirm the firmware is not flawless as mentioned by FoolishTech but I use tomato firmware and this is by far my favorite router to date.

Yeah I get signal strength of "fair" on my motorola from in my car.

Last edited by ComputerRepairTech; 07-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mau64 View Post
These are all great points, something I'll bring up to her when I meet them again. Do you have a default router you would use in this situation? I looked around at some on Newegg and they mostly have mediocre reviews. Nothing really stood out, even though some of the bad reviews were for terrible reasons.
The cheapest/smallest biz grade router we commonly deploy is the Cisco RV042. Their RV series has proven to be a very stable entry level biz unit in higher traffic biz networks.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM

mau64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
The cheapest/smallest biz grade router we commonly deploy is the Cisco RV042. Their RV series has proven to be a very stable entry level biz unit in higher traffic biz networks.
I'll take a look at them. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM

bits-n-bytes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRepairTech View Post
I have the Asus RT-N16 I am fairly certain I get wifi signal in my car at the end of my drive way which is through 4 walls and a car but I will try to remember to confirm when I get home. I can confirm the firmware is not flawless as mentioned by FoolishTech but I use tomato firmware and this is by far my favorite router to date.

Yeah I get signal strength of "fair" on my motorola from in my car.
There's a huge difference from one person getting signal to 100 or 2,
I'm currently looking at replacing some of my engenius stuff with these unifi equipment. i need to do a RV park, and one or two AP's just isn't cutting it, no matter how hard I try. add a buncha tin cans to punch through isn't helping.