Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
VIP

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

Techs have been stealing my stuff since I got to Technibble. I never really cared too much, I thought it was kinda funny actually when I Googled certain paragraphs from my website and found the exact paragraph on a tech website. Sometimes they have stolen my brand messaging, pricing, and mostly content. I just now found a paragraph that I misspelled and they copied it too lol.

Now with the remote book, I tell people to steal my content if they wish and they do. Makes a mom proud

But it doesn't sound like that dude was being nice! And it seems you got it down, good job!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 AM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

Are there copyrights in place on the name and logo? If not, I'm not too sure what recourse you'd have internationally.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 AM

NWPhotog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Are there copyrights in place on the name and logo? If not, I'm not too sure what recourse you'd have internationally.
2nd that. In addition the name is demeaning to the industry and your fellow techs. I honestly would be very ashamed of it.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 AM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by callthatgirl View Post
I just now found a paragraph that I misspelled and they copied it too lol.

For a while I was e-mailing people that copied my site to say "Hey, I noticed that you copied my site verbatim. I'm flattered...but I'd prefer that you write your own material. If you won't be courteous enough to do that, at least fix the spelling error."
Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsi View Post
Just found another one in Texas. flattering but completely infuriating that they are copying my hard work
There's actually a pretty good body of knowledge here already. In most instances a lawyer should not be required.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34139

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31689

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25738
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rodgers View Post
I would see if sending a DMCA takedown for the logo to their host will work.
This is something I think Americans in particular miss, the DMCA is a law covering the United States. Despite what Congress might think, there is no US legislation that would legally bind a foreign entity, be it a person or business, to actually be in compliance with.

Despite that, even if you had it trademarked, there probably isnt any recourse for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Technologies View Post
This is something I think Americans in particular miss, the DMCA is a law covering the United States. Despite what Congress might think, there is no US legislation that would legally bind a foreign entity, be it a person or business, to actually be in compliance with.

Despite that, even if you had it trademarked, there probably isnt any recourse for you.
Yep unless you have enough money you can't force American laws on people operating solely in foreign countries.

Note I'm not an expert on this and I could be completely wrong:

Any and all creative works are automatically protected under US copyright laws. I'm not sure whether having US citizenship or where the works were created matters. Having protection in one country won't give you protection in all countries.
--------------------------------------
If the host or even the registrar is based in the US or has operations in the US you can make a case for them to comply with a DMCA Takedown request. You can get search engines (like Google or Bing) to de-list a website by sending a DMCA Takedown, but I think that should be reserved as a last resort.

Out of curiosity what would the equivalent to the DMCA be in the UK and other European countries?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM

dweebsonduty is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, it looks like he took the site down.

I looked up his name in WhoIs and then send a message with his name in it and asked nicely and said flat out that I have proof that I own the logo but I am not sure what I can do legally.

I honestly didn't care about the name so much but the logo made it personal for some reason.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebsonduty View Post
...said flat out that I have proof that I own the logo but I am not sure what I can do legally..
Unfortunately, "proof" ≠ copyright ≠ legal stance.