Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

Comments on which linux to use:

Keep in mind that fedora is updated pretty frequently. About every 6 months they have a new version out. They only support 3 versions. Therefore, Fedora 17, 16,15. So you might find that you are going to Upgrade alot with it.

As far as Ubuntu goes, They have a terrible desktop with Unity and you will probably find that you will want to change the desktop to something else besides Unity. Note: Other distros like redhat based are using gnome3 which is probably as bad as unity in alot of respects.

Recommend:

Linux Mint - Has several desktops that should please you very much. Is easy to install and work with. Its Ubuntu based.

CentOS - For server applications as they have a long term support structure and is based on redhat. However, You might find it a bit outdated as per drivers are concerned and the ability to install bleeding edge programs as you might run into dependency problems.

Be sure to join the forums for which distro you plan to use. There is alot of helpful people in them and most problems that you run into can be answered there.

Take care and stay cool!

coffee

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 AM

Ditaly is an unknown quantity at this point

I use CentOS in our company, so sort of familiar.
That's right. since there's no "Official" claim of supporting dual boot centos and win 7. and no success of the case of 100MB boot partition I have with. So really don't wanna to risk my data.

But I have cloned my hard drive to a backup USB disk and I'm going to give a try.