Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

RedFoxComp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300DDR View Post
SOOOO… using my web design and SEO knowledge, I made a website with her full name mentioned MANY times and pictures of her bounced check. Within 1 week I got a call from her saying "please take down that website, my agent is mad at me now that I didn't pay you." I got lucky that she was an actress (or at least someone that cares about what comes up when you google their name). The next day I got payment and took the page down. Couldn't have worked better, and I felt pretty damn good!!
That's great! Must have been really satisfying.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyguy717 View Post
I know that going to a court would not necessarily result in payment.
Don't be so sure. If you are awarded damages plus court costs, and you follow through on filing your claim, this will show up any time this guy tries to borrow money for a financial institution. If he's getting a business going, that would put a major cramp in things for him.

I'm not a lawyer, different jurisdictions, your mileage may very, etc, etc.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Also, while not directly applicable to your situation, it got me thinking about this story. Wouldn't you love to march into a non-paying bank with the sheriff and seize their property?

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

Ok, I had a customer at one time call for service. I got there and it was a pretty old lady with 2 computers. I removed a bunch of virus related stuff and cleaned it up software wise. Then I wrote out the bill. Spent an hour on site.

She had the gaul to sit in her recliner and give me the sad story "Gee, I dont have any money" (background - Prices are discussed on the first phone call). I looked at her and with evil eyes said "Thats going to be a problem then Grandma". She got scared and started ruffling thru her purse and produced money but 20 bucks short. Just then her daughter showed up and I pressed her for payment or I was going to take the computer. She wrote me a check that bounced to high heaven!

I nailed them with a 50.00 bounce fee. I pressed them for payment and threatened court action and she finally made good on the check.

If I find out on site that you dont intend to pay for some reason then I will take the computer. Normally when I start unhooking the computer they seem to come up with money.

Believe it or not the worst offenders I have for non payment are the 3rd party companies and Homeland Security. I dont do service for them anymore. If asked why I just tell them "From my experience I dont get paid". I could ask for a deposit up front but I dont want to work for just the deposit.

Best Regards,

Coffee

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM

nesrinamb is on the way

You do need to consult your lawyer on this since the rules are so different from state to stare.

In some states you can claim it as theft of service and here in California you have the right to reposes the property.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Tucson Techie is on the way

I've also got burned once by a third-party company. You need to be careful about any sub-contract work from a 3rd party, especially an out of city or out of state company. I don't do any kind of sub-con work anymore. If I did I would certainly demand payment upfront.

I had a deadbeat customer once, a former coworker when I was a sys admin, who didn't pay me for a year and a half. I finally emailed him a nasty gram and threatened small claims court and I got paid a week later. Sometimes you have get aggressive, if only in words.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM

dgast is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to dgast
Default Credit rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Immediately take them to small claims court. The rules differ from state to state but here it costs 100 bucks to take someone to SCC. If you win you can also get them for the cost also.

I would do it out of spite. I dont care how much the amount is and if they have the ability to pay. But if you win you can also proceed with garnishing their pay and also ding their credit rating.
I like the idea of going to SCC, but better yet tell them you will send the bad credit information to Dunn & Bradstreet that could bite them in their business, also going to Equifax and Transunion for credit reporting is good also for personal credit. There is a third company for personal credit reporting but the name escapes me right now. I would check but you probably can notify them of payment terms by written letter even though it is not on your invoice.

Good Luck,
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

The first course of action is to refuse to do business with them until they pay you the balance owed.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyguy717 View Post
I now put the terms of service on all of my receipts. I understand that some businesses see this as a good thing. (They know I am a serious business) While if anyone is weary about the "lawyer claims", I say that this is a standard agreement that guarantees payment and warranty for you.

Since I was lax on making sure the terms were on every receipt a year ago, I think my best course of action would be a collection agency?

Yes I have:
- A signed receipt
- Parts bills

I know that going to a court would not necessarily result in payment.

I have noticed that since updating my terms and putting on every receipt, payments have been more prompt. (Usually immediately)

Although my terms are very strict on entities that don't pay, I do give 30 days to pay. (Good for businesses) But the charges will quickly rack up after that, all according to my state law.

You have to be able to prove the debt. A collection company will probably not offer you much money unless you have ALL the signed paperwork. If everything is signed, they will generally offer you a percentage of what they collect.

Some companies pay up front.. other companies pay contingent upon collecting the debt.... Good Luck.

I think your paperwork was poor and you waited too long to pursue this though, so you have hurt your chances of collecting. That said, I do not know the statute of limitations or collections procedures for your state. To find that out you will need to consult with a collections company or a lawyer. Either way it is going to cost you money to collect money at this point...

Maybe you can write it off?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Either way it is going to cost you money to collect money at this point...
Not if you try my website technique, it's worth a shot anyhow Just write up a page describing everything that happened, using lots of keywords and their name, also your location/city. Hopefully the client has a somewhat unique name.