Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM

hunterjo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you stock

Hi All,

Quick survey,

As a tech what parts do you commonly stock at all times?

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Have a look at the threads, there is even one running on this subject. Also make sure your questions are clear, do you mean mobile techs, shop techs or what?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Hi Martyn,

Can you supply the thread link as everytime I search it brings back everything with the word "stock" in it

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

This is the one I was thinking of.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38584
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Cant access it - it says I need to wait 5 days

Thanks anyway I will check back then.

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Yes, you need to be specific to which type of tech, services provided, store-front or mobile (huge difference), and if you still wanted to be vague I think the better question would be "what do you NOT stock?"

I'm mobile but I don't do much work anymore - so what I do may not mean much to you.
  • I don't stock proprietary laptop parts of course.
  • I don't stock proprietary PSUs, only standard. I do stock a standard case, so that if I need to do a system build or replace a proprietary PSU with a standard for the customer in a hurry, I've got a case to xfer all the guts to.
  • I also keep only one type of new motherboard on hand with a matching CPU ready to go. This way I can do a new build, or a board replacement of any type and RPL the CPU as well if the new board I have doesn't match the old architecture.
Other than that I try to keep an assortment of pretty much everything in very limited quantities. Business is so slow for me in my area that I usually keep only one or two individual parts in stock and just order replacements as I use the stock.

I also try to stock laptop HDD enclosures (SATA/PATA) for when customers don't want to repair a busted laptop but the HDD is still good, it's an up-sell to make a portable drive with their data on it.

There are a few odd items I stock like USB > Serial and Serial surge protectors, but that is because of the fishing industry in my area and their unique needs.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Check out my videos on using various Foolish IT software.

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Also check out My Network Boot Setup details, and the comment thread.
Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 06-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM

I run a mobile service and just would like to see what everyone else carries with them. I tend to keep a couple of 2.5 and 3.5in harddrives both ide and sata with me and a couple of sticks of ram.

Thanks for your response.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

I used to go all crazy and stocked the back of my Jeep like it was XMas sale at best buy. Spare modems, drives, cables of literally every single type, optical drives, routers, switches, keyboards, mice, power supplies, tons and tons of CDs of every type.....pretty much any part of a computer or network.

I'm mostly mobile, but I'm mostly business.
We often bring dead rigs back to our office...further work on them there.

So my truck is mostly clean/empty now...just my laptop bag, whatever I need that day, and my bag with network tools in it.

So besides my laptop, and my Gizmo USB thumb drive....I bring my brain. If it needs more work than that, back to my shop.

As for memory...no way, we order memory specific for the exact make/model computer we're doing an upgrade on..from Crucial.com. None of that "Oh just install any old stick of PC2 5300 and cross your fingers" or whatever. We select memory specifically tested on/approved for a system. Customer can wait a day or two for the right stuff.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 PM

rwkanzig is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually don't keep anything in stock. I'm mobile, and my goal is to carry as little as possible. Due to where I live, service techs (of all flavors, plumbers, electicians, etc) usually don't keep anything in stock either. Basically, if I need a part, I'll special order it. If they want it quickly (that day or next), I'll go pick it up at the local computer shop. It'll cost them a lot more, but if that's what they want...

I have yet to have an issue with this. A very few people have been a bit frustrated that they have to wait, but I have yet to lose a sale as a result of doing business this way.

Oh, I will usually keep around 5-10 8GB thumb drives with me. I get them for about $4 a piece and sell them for $10. Some people who want me to back up important docs/photos/etc, prefer the thumb drive to a DVD. I make a good profit on them, and they take up almost no room in my bag.

Just so you know, I used to worry about this when I first started. I didn't have a whole lot of start up cash, but I decided early on to do business without carrying anything. The couple of times I've been asked why I don't keep common items in stock, I just reply that I want to make sure whatever part I put in your system will work for you and your system.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM

NWPhotog is an unknown quantity at this point

I carry the normal parts, HDs, ram, power supplies, DVD drives, etc. I buy at discounted prices and sell at below local retail (ie Best Buy) prices. Not only do I make good mark up on these parts but I save the customer time, money, and frustration. That means much repeat business which is the real goal.