Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Big Jim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Procedures/ procedure manual

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of writing a procedure manual and wondered what procedures you have actually written procedures for (basicly as a check to see what I have missed or didn't think about)

Thanks
James
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM

lsi is on a distinguished road
Default what kind of procedures?

what kind of procedures are you writing up? Technical procedures or more like HR/administration stuff? I am currently putting together some technical write-ups (white papers) on how I like stuff done so that I can hand off assignments to techs and not have to babysit the project too much. It's taking a lot more time than I thought it would and I only have 2 of them done:

-SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Network migration process steps

-Steps to quickly track down and fix Exchange security breaches causing client to become blacklisted

I've got a lot of knowledge in my head that I am trying to transfer to some employees so I can finally free myself up. It got me to wondering - do other shops already have a knowledge base of white papers and procedures like this? Or is there already a good repository of information somewhere I can reference?

-Den
Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Big Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

My procedures will be a lot more simple than that.

I just mean general procedures within the shop
such as

general break fix procedure
tune-ups
virus removal
booking callouts
what to do if machine does not power on at all.

I am just trying to cover all angles so that I can get a standard in the shop that I can push to my tech, so that we both understand what exactly it is he is supposed to be doing, when and how.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 AM

lsi is on a distinguished road
Default sounds familiar

It sounds like we might have a slightly different demographic but those all sound like technical procedures I need to write-up as well since I do hardware support in addition to network support. I wonder if there are some folks that have already put together some of these things that would be willing to collaborate if we all pitched in?

-Den
Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 AM

npinc can only hope to improve

How about customer service policies? Markup strategies? Payment collection policies? Telephone? Health and Safety? Dress code? Any standards you might have around punctuality, honesty, etc? Cleanliness? Returns, refunds, client complaints? Reporting procedures?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM

score444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Callthatgirl offers a great operations manual. I highly recommend purchasing it from her. You can tweak it to meet your company's needs. It also covers things that I never would have thought to put in the manual. Here is the link for it http://www.callthatgirl.biz/publications/
Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 AM
VIP

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Score for the mini review I have to admit that a 3rd version is on it's way. I found out that when I had this last growth spurt, we had yet MORE changes to add on.

I can't believe how many things I have added on. Of course, when that comes out...everyone who bought the 1st and 2nd edition, get the 3rd at no charge, and I mark in red the new changes.