Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 AM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road
Default Windows guy trying to recover MAC data

I'm a Windows guy all the way, but I'm trying to help someone recover their data off a MAC drive. The MAC wouldn't boot, but the drive is perfectly healthy. While using Ubuntu I got an error when trying to copy just one folder, saying that I didn't have permission. The folder shows an "X" and under its properties it says "you are not the owner so you cannot change the permission". Please advise how could I do this with my PC bench computer. Is there a good freeware for this?

I actually own a MAC. Would it be easier to use that MAC with my USB to SATA adapter?

Last edited by RegEdit; 06-20-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

It probably would be easier to do it on the mac, but don't quote me on that.

You can however use Ubuntu to copy the Mac's files, but to get around the permissions problem you'll need to run the file manager as root. AFAIK Ubuntu only has read support for the HFS+ Journalled file system, which means you won't be able to change the permissions of the files, but if you run the command 'sudo nautilus' in the terminal you should be able to copy and paste all you like.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

That permission blocked folder transferred over on my MAC no problem.
Problem solved.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
You can however use Ubuntu to copy the Mac's files, but to get around the permissions problem you'll need to run the file manager as root. AFAIK Ubuntu only has read support for the HFS+ Journalled file system, which means you won't be able to change the permissions of the files, but if you run the command 'sudo nautilus' in the terminal you should be able to copy and paste all you like.
For the record, Linux's HFS+ support has been discovered to be rather unreliable. There have been data corruption problems with HFS+ filesystems larger than 2 TB. The current Linux drivers can write to HFS+, but only if journaling is turned off, and Time Machine isn't being used on the drive.

In other words, just don't do it.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 AM

DanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default parted magic

I boot into parted magic for Macs. File transfers to ntfs and back to new drive work great
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Future reference: Rstudio and UFS Explorer can both recover Mac formatted drives using a PC (I'd start with Rstudio).
Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegEdit View Post
I actually own a MAC. Would it be easier to use that MAC with my USB to SATA adapter?
If you slave the drive to your Mac, you can use disk utility to make a .dmg file or even restore (clone) to another drive. This way on whatever machine or drive the data is going to You can retain entire file structure along with apps and even the system file in tact if needed. As long as the drive is healthy, this is easiest by far.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Just be careful, if the drive is bad and partition corrupt, Mac will automatically run fsck on the drive to repair it and may cause more damage. You can use activity monitor to watch for FSCK and kill it if it starts running.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 AM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

EaseUS, Rstudio and DDrescue should work. EaseUS has two version Windows and MAC. I was able to use the Windows version to retrieve re-partition MAC drive. Easier to use than RStudio or DDrescue.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Banned

OzzyGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

You need Macdrive 9. It will allow you to hook up the mac drive mount it in a windows computer http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard/