Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 AM

techyguy717 is on a distinguished road
Default What resolution Laptop Screen

How do I know an HP Laptop's Resolution without looking at it?

The screen is broken. Customer insists it is a 1600 X 900 screen.
He gives me the model number, product number, serial number, but nothing determines the screen resolution. So I take him at his word.

When the screen arrives, he drops it off. Take out screen, it turns out to be 1366 x 768.

Edit: How do I find out the resolution of HP Laptop only by number?

Last edited by techyguy717; 06-16-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: wrong sentence
Old 06-16-2012, 02:52 AM

Velvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you return the screen and eat,split, or charge the shipping to him?

I would think the original screen has some sort of number on it that would identify it.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 AM

Thanks, but I'm now looking forward to the future.

How do I find out the resolution of HP Laptop only by number?
- model number, product number, serial number
So that the customer reads off the HP Laptop number and I can look up the exact screen resolution. I'm beginning to think that it can't be done.

Do I really need to see an HP laptop in person to determine the screen resolution?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 AM

abyssinian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by techyguy717 View Post

Do I really need to see an HP laptop in person to determine the screen resolution?
No, but you should. Any experienced Laptop Tech will tell you that this is the ONLY way to be certain to get the correct part. The internet is full of misinformation and errors, and there are always exceptions to the rules. There are regularly multiple versions of LCD screens in any given model number.

However...since you are questioning about an HP, you are lucky. HP's partsurfer is actually pretty reliable. I am not sure if I can post a link, so google it. At this site, you can use the laptops "part number" (NOT model number!), and/or the serial number to get the original screens HP part number (usually xxxxxx-001). With this number you can find out the original LCD screens specs. You must still be careful even at this point, as many screen sellers don't have a clue what they are selling, and will list supposed "compatible" numbers in bulk.

Last edited by abyssinian; 06-16-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM

What makes the screen resolution incompatible for the laptop?
Lets say a Laptop Model can have a 1366X768 AND 1600 X 900 upgrade.
Why won't 1600 X 900 work?

A replacement motherboard is not rated for screen resolution, at least none that I have ever replaced.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:17 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
A replacement motherboard is not rated for screen resolution, at least none that I have ever replaced.
Well, its not "rated" but it is preset, usually called "native resolution". The GPU will start up at a certain resolution and on most machines that cannot be changed. So you put a LCD with the wrong resolution and boot the machine and the screen can appear too big or too small. Likewise the driver for that laptop will often default to the expected resolution and may not have the proper width height pixels and you will get odd graphics. Even if you can come up with a close match it might not be perfect (width height) and icons appear weird, text looks milky or fuzzy, etc.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM

So there are different motherboards for the EXACT same model, depending on screen resolution?

Good thing I go off of part numbers, except for this time.

Last edited by techyguy717; 06-16-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add EXACT
Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
So there are different motherboards for the EXACT same model, depending on screen resolution?

Good thing I go off of part numbers, except for this time.
Well, there are different motherboards for the same model laptop. When we replace a motherboard we always match it exactly to the correct number. If you go to ebay and look at DV6000 motherboards there are many different types. These differences can be for everything from cpu, video, connectors, BIOS capability, chassis mounts, component locations, etc.

Its quite common to find different resolution screens for the same model, but a different extension of that model.

For instance a HP G60-100 is much different from a G60-600 but everyone just sees them as G60's.

I recently worked on a XPS-15 (pretty sure that was the model). The one that came in had a LED lcd, but when I bought a new top cover it was for the same model but with a CCFL lcd, so the internal mounts didnt match and was thicker than the LED model. Otherwise it looked almost exactly the same.

Last edited by NYJimbo; 06-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.