Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Computer Deals

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 AM

ComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the rough
Default Momentus XT 500gb 2.5" hybdrid HD on sale at newegg 69.99

http://dealnews.com/Seagate-500-GB-2...ng/584444.html
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM

tim fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

What's your opinion of these hybrid drives? I have never used one, have you? With the price of ssd's coming down should I wait? Sounds interesting.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

NetcomTech is on a distinguished road

I bought one, only because it appears to be faster than a standard laptop drive and you get far more storage space for the money. I can get a SSD for about the same price, but I only get 60-128 gigs of space.

Just my thought.
Eric
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 PM

crashtech is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the 750GB version of this drive for a customer and although they were happy with it, the WEI only registered 5.9 even after multiple runs of the test, which was no different than the old hard drive. Different bench marks showed good performance gains, though. Not that the WEI is a good indicator of real-world performance in this instance, but I wanted others to be aware of this to preempt any customer concerns.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM

ComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the roughComputerRepairTech is a jewel in the rough

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...omentus+XT+500

amazon has it on sale now as well.

I am not posting this to say rush out and buy one for personal use. The post is more like hey look why pay 60 bucks to replace a customers hard drive with a crappy 160-320gb drive when for 10 bucks more you can get them a 500gb hybrid drive. laptop hard drives are still pricey.

"Seagate hasn’t come out and made any claims that it will smoke the latest SSDs but what they are pushing is a better user experience. With common recurring tasks such as booting your system, launching the same game, or opening the same program the new Momentus XT is able to offer greater speeds than even 10,000RPM hard drives.

They make use of the 4GB of flash with a technology called Adaptive Memory. An algorithm runs continuously on the drive to identify data patterns. Adaptive Memory then moves the most frequently accessed information to flash memory for faster recall than what is possible from the platter part of the drive. What happens is users end up tuning the drive to suit their needs. As computing patterns change, so does the cache, so it's always keeping pace with the user. The other good news is that all this action occurs on the drive itself, so the operating system doesn't matter."
- http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_momentus_xt_review

Last edited by ComputerRepairTech; 06-15-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM

arrow_runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to arrow_runner Send a message via MSN to arrow_runner Send a message via Yahoo to arrow_runner

I just upgraded a customer's laptop that had a 750gb 5400rpm drive to the 7200/hybrid version. Big big improvement. Not sure why Sony put a 5400rpm drive in with an i7 and 4 thousand jiggabytes of ram but whatever.

I actually just picked up a 240gb ssd from newegg for like $160 after MIR, but I'm thinking that I should maybe return it and get the same 750gb hybrid for my netbook for onsite visits....hmm