Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM

n3rdism is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving into a larger shop

Hey Guys , I'm moving into a much larger shop next month and getting more into retail.

Just wondering what you guys keep on shelf etc.

http://www.everythingfones.com.au Australian Mobile Phone Parts Supplier and repair training

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

Take your last two months sales in hardware and that is about what you want to carry. If you have not had a shop at all then I would limit it to enough stuff to build custom pc's- enough to build 5-7 pc's. Then build one or two pc's for the display. You can get a dozen extra power supplies or so to start.

however, If you sold 20 power supplies, 10 motherboards, 3 custom PC's ect.... that is what you might consider carrying. Do not carry more than that.

Be very careful inventorying stuff that you have never sold before.....say if you wanted to add UPS' then get 2 to begin with, reorder when those get sold. Surge protectors are another item you can carry.

I have had luck with all the components I use to fix broken pc's, some network stuff, some wireless stuff, a router or two, a hub or two, a switch or two, some cat 5 stuff short cables 15' and 5'.

avoid all the newest geeky stuff...nice to put up a show but you won't sell it.

I do better with some basic flat screens, keyboards, mice. I do not carry any software except OEM Windows.... no profit in carrying qb's or Office.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

PS We put out about 5 different types of custom cases on display, we then also reseal the empty boxes and put them on the top shelves in another part of the display to make it look like we have more inventory than we actually have. Do not get carried away. its easier to buy than it is to sell....

I like combo motherboards: mobo/cpu/cpufan/ram so that I can take someones computer that is fried and upgrade the guts. Need a OEM software as well as the old lic won't work.

I do very little cash and carry on parts, its mostly for sale because I have it in case I need it for a repair or to complete a system sale "monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, ups, surge protector, network cable, router/switch/hub"

I am getting ready to fire sale (20% of cost) some accumulated inventory that never sold, some of it 2 years old.....
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM

DanF is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost 8,500 fans on facebook... wow!

Just noticed that your Facebook icon in your website links to nowhere. Just thought I'd point it out.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Where have you been hiding the last three months Tony?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Where have you been hiding the last three months Tony?
I have been dividing my time between flying my small plane, spending plenty of time with my only granddaughter and helping my son start a new business in Spray Foam Insulation as part of a zero energy home goal.

Its too depression to talk to my manager at the computer store

Is everyone down from last year or just me?

PS......I'm also remodeling my country home for my retirement home. We are super insulating it with spray foam, upgrading the hvac to Geothermal or water sourced hvac and adding alternative power so I can lower my retirement outlays. This lead me to look into starting a consulting business in LEED or leadership in energy efficiency....

Last edited by Tony_Scarpelli; 07-11-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM

npinc can only hope to improve

I carry motherboards (one high end, one medium, one entry level Asus, one 775), CPUs, video cards, sound cards, speakers, one higher end CPU cooler, three drawers of Intel and AMD fans, another of SATA cables, another of ribbon cables, USB to serial and parallel adapters, wireless cards, antenna cable, wireless routers, switches, KVM switches.

UPS' (two different ratings), monitors, laptops (3 to 4 different models at any one time), desktops (off lease, prebuilt and custom, 4 to 6 different models at any given time), cases, cables, fans, USB keys, universal adapters, RAM, DVD/RW, SSD, hard drives (laptop and desktop), a boatload of laptop parts, used and new screens.

Keboard/mice combos, cordless mice, Office (three different versions), security software (three different suites), WoW cards (don't bother unless you're using them as a loss leader), 6 different power supplies.

We have about 2000 sq ft and a small portion is devoted to retail. What I learned is that if you have it, it will sell.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Scarpelli View Post
Bla bla bla
My old nemesis Tony is back, I see. Good to see you around.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Technologies View Post
My old nemesis Tony is back, I see. Good to see you around.
I was just up your way in Cleveland, OH last week.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM

Rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdism View Post
Hey Guys , I'm moving into a much larger shop next month and getting more into retail.

Just wondering what you guys keep on shelf etc.
Checked out your Facebook page, ah, wow? I think there's a lot more we might be able to learn from you than from us! Any tips on getting that many followers?! Well done on the content too, one of the better tech Facebook pages out there.

I was going to add that stock type and levels will depend a huge amount on your physical location. If you have a decent amount of walk by trade (which you appear to have), then a range of iPhone/Pad/Pod cases & screen protectors would be worth considering - but you seem to have that covered already. Generic ink cartridges, you're doing that too. We stock a fairly wide range of mice which have always been steady sellers, and USB memory sticks too.

I think you might already have all this stuff covered. You might consider something a little more left field - our MAME arcade cabinets always attract attention, you can pull a tidy pile of gold coins out of them most days. We also have a stocked drinks fridge which sells steadily (mostly to our own techs).