Go Back   Technibble Forums > Announcements > Introductions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Hi Brain,

We talked about two months ago and discuss using you as a backup in case I need help. But so far I having good luck with DDI. Are you planning to provide Data Restoration or are you currently doing it now? (Head replacement, platter exchange etc...)

Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 PM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

Hi Roel,

At this stage in our business' life, we are not planning on doing anything which requires a clean room (only necessary in about 20% of all cases we receive). But keep in mind, it's impossible to diagnose a drive as "needing a clean room" or needing "Data Restoration" without a more extensive toolset than just a DDI (except for something like a drive which was dropped and is now loudly thrashing and audibly scratching the platters).

*We just finished a drive yesterday for a client (computer store with a DDI) after they could not recover "just PST files and My Documents folder." We got back 99.9% of the entire drive.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you!
Brian
Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 PM

pcman2010 is on a distinguished road

Brian, welcome to the forum. I stumbled upon your site when I was researching what the data recovery market was like.

The college I attend has the only one that I know of certified clean room. I took a class with the material provided by My HD Died.com and I'm now a Certified Data Recovery Expert. I've only done a few platter swaps but I have resources in my back yard.

Welcome, again

Last edited by pcman2010; 06-11-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 PM

pcman2010 is on a distinguished road

Impressive store. I looked at your website when you ran this business out of your apartment and had photos online.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:08 PM

Wow, a college with a clean room, that's pretty awesome!

Thanks, it's a lot nicer than my apartment was . And we have torn down the front area now, it's different from the pics (better looking), but waiting for our new desk area to be built before posting new pics.

One reason we can't do clean room stuff right now is we'd have to change our business model completely (since $300 for clean room isn't reasonable IMO). It will have to happen at some time, but honestly, I want to know EVERYTHING about hard drive firmware for every HD manufacturer before I start learning clean room stuff (and I'd probably just like to hire a clean room expert rather than learn it myself, so keep practicing head and platter swaps if you have any interest ).

It could easily take 3-6 years of daily PC3000 usage to completely understand the in-and-outs of all hard drives models. *I have a drive right now that even the PC3000 devs are having a lot of problem with (they have been remoting in from Russia for the past week and it's still not solved, but inching closer daily).
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Brand can only hope to improve

Welcome, glade you could join us.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM

gikstar is on the way

Quote:
One reason we can't do clean room stuff right now is we'd have to change our business model completely (since $300 for clean room isn't reasonable IMO)
If you're not ready then you're not ready, but when you are why can't you just setup another website that deals specifically with clean-room recovery?

On a personal note, I'm just sorry that you didn't join the forums a week earlier. We had contacted our partner 'Drive Savers' about a 4drive 4Tb Nas that had two drives go out and had already provided an estimated $$ figure to the client. Can't go back to the client now and tell him we found a less expensive place, unless D/S's free quote is too high and he decides not to go through with it.
I hope I'll be dropping it by your place since I'm only 50 miles away in Oxnard. Either way, I'll be in contact with you when we get another 'recovery' request.

Too bad you're not on the west side of the 405... either way, I'll ride my motorcycle over that way so I won't have to be stuck in the traffic in that area.

I love doing business with companies where we can meet face-to-face.

Last edited by gikstar; 06-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Hi gikstar,

Looking forward to doing business with your company as well! Keep in mind, you can always mail it to us and avoid the drive altogether . It would likely get here next day since you are so close, and cost less than or around $10 to ship. Benjamin (on this forum) usually mails us drives - he's in Alhambra if I remember correctly and another company just over in Pasadena does too. Driving around here is the worst.

Quote:
If you're not ready then you're not ready, but when you are why can't you just setup another website that deals specifically with clean-room recovery?
Yes, that is the plan actually. A whole new business, but keeping $300 Data Recovery around as is. Maybe it'll be called something like $1000 Clean Room Data Recovery

P.S. You probably won't see my face b/c I'm always in the back working . If you drop it off it will be with either our receptionist Charmaine or with Nathan (the Mac tech for EliteMacTechs, my other business).

BTW… what you riding? I'm on a '02 K1200RS.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 PM

gikstar is on the way

That's a nice bike but too much power for me. I ride a Ninja 250 and am looking forward to getting the Kawasaki 650... both have a higher riding position, at the age of 66, I don't need that much weight resting on my wrists and hands as with a Ninja 600 or so.
In checking out photos of the K1200RS, it seems to have a higher riding position also. You can enjoy the scenery a lot more in that position.

I personally don't mind driving around dropping off stuff especially if I can do it via my motorcycle, as this is my son's IT company and I just like to 'help out' for lack of better things to do, besides, I enjoy working on computers and helping people.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Yea, it's pretty upright, kinda a cross between straight upright and ninja style. A good medium. *The power is probably my favorite part but I understand not wanting that much (this is my second bike, first was '80 Suzuki GS550 which was considerably slower but a great learning bike) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikstar View Post
as this is my son's IT company and I just like to 'help out' for lack of better things to do
That's fantastic! I've thought of having my dad work for me, he's down in FL, so would have to be a "remote" shop or something. That's really cool you guys get to work together.