Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Security, Viruses and Trojans

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM

ProfessorCPU is on a distinguished road
Default 0Access Rootkit?

Have any of you had luck in removing the 0Access virus from PCs without reformatting? This has got to be one of the most difficult viruses I have come accross.

Just thought I'd ask what you guys have come accross when dealing with this rootkit.

Thanks

Your Automated Virtual Technician
PC Management Software
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

My last experience was to reinstall Vista x86 and run getdataback on the clone of the original drive. Managed to rebuild most of the file system (mainly photos, & docs) but many files and folders were trashed. The MBR and system files was the worst affected. It was a challenge to get the good stuff off as windows could not access the drive. Repair was out of the question and no restore points were available. Wasted a lot of time chasing ghosts. Tons of fun.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 AM

hacknscan is an unknown quantity at this point

go to foolishit.com and on the d7 page click on pics and vids then at the bottom go to malware vids. He gives you the tools and a video on removing it
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Tekguy is on a distinguished road

The download link for Foolish IT's ZeroAccess removal tool didn't work for me. Here's a video from Britec that shows how to manually remove ZeroAccess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7KlPBv0yp8
Old 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Here is Nick's removal process using D7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Ge8QKr1yg_o
Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCPU View Post
Have any of you had luck in removing the 0Access virus from PCs without reformatting? This has got to be one of the most difficult viruses I have come accross.

Just thought I'd ask what you guys have come accross when dealing with this rootkit.

Thanks
The Youtube vid I did was for a pretty old ZeroAccess variant. It's changed a lot since then.

There's a variant not long ago out there that hooks system drivers that's very difficult to remove, but it doesn't work on 64bit OSes...

The latest variant that does infect 64bit OSes however is a "user mode" variant and no longer technically a 'rootkit', so it is surprisingly easy to remove IF you know where to look; I wrote a tool to do just that in a few minutes. Attached... of course this automatic detection/removal is also part of D7 v6.4 and again, it ONLY works for the latest and greatest user mode variant of ZeroAccess.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KillZeroAccessUserModeVariant.zip (78.8 KB, 101 views)

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 06-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mike View Post
My last experience was to reinstall Vista x86 and run getdataback on the clone of the original drive. Managed to rebuild most of the file system (mainly photos, & docs) but many files and folders were trashed. The MBR and system files was the worst affected. It was a challenge to get the good stuff off as windows could not access the drive. Repair was out of the question and no restore points were available. Wasted a lot of time chasing ghosts. Tons of fun.
I'm confused, did it muck up your partitions or something? Even on an infected machine you're able to boot, or slave the drive and copy the user profile across, aren't you?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
I'm confused, did it muck up your partitions or something? Even on an infected machine you're able to boot, or slave the drive and copy the user profile across, aren't you?
That is exactly what it did, trashed the recovery partition. Sorry I didn't mention that the first time. I did slave the drive but never could get my bench machine's windows to recognize/load the drive. It would assign a letter to the drive, but show no content and gave no access. This was a seriously "mucked up" drive.

Tags
format tutorial coming?