Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy
Default Thoughts on Ubuntu 12.04?

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my netbook (Toshiba NB305), and its running really well, my only complaint is battery life, I'm only able to get 5 hours out of it.

They changed the dash around a bit and removed the "browse web", "check email" and "listen to music" shortcuts. Now it displays the most recently used apps. Also, they now allow some customization of Unity: icon size, auto-hide, etc...

Overall I'm happy with the performance.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

I really liked it when I tried the beta. I'm one of those people who doesn't really mind Unity; there's an awful lot of people who can't stand it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
I really liked it when I tried the beta. I'm one of those people who doesn't really mind Unity; there's an awful lot of people who can't stand it.
I would be one of those, seems "heavier" to me and I just don't like the look, but to each their own.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM

madmodder is an unknown quantity at this point

i was never a fan of unity, but i must say it is growing on me, im loving the new boot and shutdown times, ubuntu still has a long way to go before it can claim a larger stake in the desktop market think currently its around 2%, but it is shaping up very nicely, every release is going from strengh to strengh and who knows where it will be at in the next few years, im a strong beliver that ubuntu has prob the best chance of going head to head with win and oss in the desktop market.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaters Kustum Machines View Post
I would be one of those, seems "heavier" to me and I just don't like the look, but to each their own.
Unity is definately heavier, it runs so slow on one of my older desktop machines with an ATI Rage 128, no hardware acceleration whatsoever.
Xubuntu(XFCE) and Lubuntu(LXDE) are missing some dependancies and apps that regular Ubuntu has, so I usually install XFCE or LXDE (I prefer LXDE as it is very light-weight) on top of Ubuntu, so it retains all the dependancies and apps.

Somewhat unrelated but, in the past I've installed Debian with LXDE on a Pentium 133Mhz with 32mb ram and it ran fine without any hiccups.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM

jr866gooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Installed this on virtual box, like u.e look-this is my first look at ubuntu i don't have the intention of replacing win 7 but it looks nice. I have also noticed it to be sluggish- not sure if it helps that the os is residing on my usb hard drive but which version seemed better performance wise?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr866gooner View Post
Installed this on virtual box, like u.e look-this is my first look at ubuntu i don't have the intention of replacing win 7 but it looks nice. I have also noticed it to be sluggish- not sure if it helps that the os is residing on my usb hard drive but which version seemed better performance wise?
That will be a factor. Do you have an esata enclosure?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM

jr866gooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Its just a free agent go seagate hd. Straight usb so nothing fancy...
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 AM

Foxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing 11.10 has a huge security breech in the kernel there's not much of choice.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM

MikeLierman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
I'd be one of them. Why? A very simple reason that can easily be solved, but they refuse to do so. I use two monitors. Unity can ONLY be on the left side of one of the monitors. It can't be moved. My left monitor is NOT my primary monitor because I'm not sitting directly in front of it. I'm sitting directly in front of the right monitor, so unity would make the most sense either on the bottom of the right monitor, the right of the right monitor, or top of the right monitor. Anywhere but the left side.

It also auto-hides, and unity is extremely laggy on my 6-core desktop w/ 8gb of ram and 1TB hard drive.