Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Velvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up DNS on Win Server 2003

I have a Windows Server 2003 network. Due to a major failure of an unrelated VOIP system going down I had to temporarily shut off DHCP and the DNS roles.

I have re-enabled the DHCP role, but cant seem to get the DNS role to work properly.

When I run the wizard it asks for the name of the DNS zone but I am unsure as to what it needs. I have tried nameofdomain.local as well as nameofdomain.

The wizard ends without issue but when a client connects it gets a DNS address of 4.2.2.1 but it wont connect to any webpages. I am not sure where its pulling this address from. (I must have set it somewhere on the server, when the sh!t hit the fan with the VOIP system)

When I set it manually on the client to 4.2.2.1 webpages come up.

Like I said its a Windows Sever 2003 AD domain with file server, printer sharing, DHCP, and DNS roles.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

What were your exact steps in "disabling" the DHCP/DNS roles of this server...I assume they were both running fine before?

DHCP should hand out the LAN IP address of the server....example..192.168.1.10 or something like that, not handing out some public IP like 4.2.2.1...else the active directory will break in between the workstations and server. Workstations need to use the LAN IP of the DC(s)...not a public DNS. You set the public DNS servers in the DNS forwarding section in DNS's MMC.

Refer to my outdated...yet still valid, article here that shows them from SBS03..which those two roles are the same as Server 03.
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/s...ork-guide-1660
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM

Yes, DHCP and DNS were working fine. I needed to temporarily disable it, and use a router to provide it for a VOIP system. Although in hindsight that may have not been necessary....

I started the Manage Your Server wizard and removed the DHCP role and the DNS role, thinking it would be easy to add them back when I needed to.

The DHCP role seems to be working fine, but the DNS I couldn't figure out. So I temporarily hand set the clients to use a specific DNS. But now many of the clients can't print to the shared printers.

So I need to get the DNS portion up and running.

Also there is no web or Exchange server running on this box.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 AM

cyabro will become famous soon enough

Normally your workstations would get a DNS server address via DHCP and this would be the IP address of the server.
Check your DHCP settings and make sure DNS Server is one of the scope options as well as DNS Domain Name, which should be your local lan Domain.
In the DNS service settings you generally don't have to do anything except add some DNS forwarders, usually your ISPs DNS servers, so that the server can forward any DNS requests that aren't for the local lan to the internet.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvis View Post
Yes, DHCP and DNS were working fine. I needed to temporarily disable it, and use a router to provide it for a VOIP system. Although in hindsight that may have not been necessary....

I started the Manage Your Server wizard and removed the DHCP role and the DNS role, thinking it would be easy to add them back when I needed to.
Ugh....
Well...your hindsight was correct....it was not necessary. For non-Windows clients (such as phones, printers, etc)...it does not matter what the DHCP source is..they do not see any difference. As long as they get an IP address in the range of the network...all is well for them. Naturally if you're running AD on the network...you want DHCP to be run from the server. And of course...with a server running AD, DNS is a critical component of active directory. Picture a building and how it is built....think of DNS as the "foundation and frame" of that building. Without DNS ..there is no active directory. Workstations must...must...use the servers LAN IP for their DNS, and the server needs to look at itself for DNS. Without DNS, your building will have no foundation or frame to hold it up.

There is no reason to not use the DHCP of the server to run the network. The phones many not have needed the DNS of the server to function, but having them use another DNS was not necessary, as long as the DNS on the server was originally setup properly and functioning properly. Next time you need to test some issue where you suspect the DHCP of the server isn't functioning properly and you want to use another DHCP service like a router...simply go to services.msc and "stop" the DHCP service of the server. Set it to disabled...turn on DHCP of the router. Now the DHCP of the router will hand out either its LAN IP for DNS, or the ISPs DNS servers....and you do not have (actually you should not period!!!) disable or uninstall DNS from a domain controller. Of course Windows workstations will pick up the DHCP from the router and stop using the IP of your DC for DNS and their logins will become painfully slow and active directory between them and the server will now be broken. So go disable DHCP on the router and enable and start it on your server again to get your network working properly again and vow to never mess with DHCP and DNS on a DC again.

You can rebuild DNS in an existing DC...as removing DNS didn't completely wipe out AD....but she is laying down knocked out cold! You'll have to be careful noting your active directory domain name, and the primary dns suffix..and lots of digging into the forward lookup zones and eyeballing dynamic registrations inside the zone (clients creating records as they log in). I've never removed DNS from a server, but I've had to sit down at servers that have had DNS tanked and removed by someone else..and sometimes it can be a long fight to reinstall DNS and get it to settle down again properly.

You'll be getting familiar with Server 2003 Support Tools, dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix. Constant refreshing and reviewing DNS MMC, as well as event viewer.

I'm pretty jammed today with a meeting with a competitor to take over a prior client of his (hah hah! ) A webinar, and then a several hour onsite at a client...but I'll try to poke in and check on this post a few times today. I suggest doing a bit of Googling on reinstalling DNS on a domain controller...should find some articles to get you started at technet and petri and some other good Windows server info sites. I'll try to find some to link here.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 06-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Ok, I got it to give out DNS to the clients and web pages are coming up.

However, network printers shared by the server are not working though.

Is there something specific I should look at if the printers are not working?

BTW: Thanks very much for all your help.

Last edited by Velvis; 06-11-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Updated info