Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM

sepi is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally installed all security updates except Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2536276) won't install. I get Windows Update Error 800B0100. Doing a search on Google tells me that some windows files did not register correctly and to run the System Update Readiness Tool.

After I install the tool, it does a update search and finds Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) and tries to install it. The update just sits there and doesn't finish... no indicator line moving, etc....

I'm going to leave it running this time and just forget about it for a few hours and see what it's doing when I come back!!!

So based on what I've read here so far my understanding is that when you buy a retail computer with a preinstalled OS, given that you can get your hands on the OS discs from (somewhere!) then you can use the key number that is pasted on the sticker to the pc?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepi View Post
So based on what I've read here so far my understanding is that when you buy a retail computer with a preinstalled OS, given that you can get your hands on the OS discs from (somewhere!) then you can use the key number that is pasted on the sticker to the pc?
Officially no, you can. It do this. If you are having to do a reload, then you must use the recovey partition found on the drive.

If the drive has failed, then again officially you must contact the manufacturer of said machine, and order recovery media from them.

Even though the os disc and coa from the machine will work. (obviously with xp it won't work this way). Vista and 7 will. With xp you do need some form of manufacturers media.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 PM

sepi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ecurity Update for Windows Vista (KB2536276) won't install.

Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) installed successfully, but the ecurity Update for Windows Vista (KB2536276) still won't install.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM

RedFoxComp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iladelf View Post
For the record, I think the new PC Decrapifier is, welll...crap. Not near as robust as old versions; doesn't really label a whole lot as "crap" and makes you manually do lots of the work yourself. Umm, yeah...that's what PC Decrapifier is supposed to be; Ninite in reverse!
Yeah, I haven't used it for a while either. To clean up the preinstalled junk, toolbars etc I've been using iobit uinstaller in batch mode and it's been good.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 AM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iladelf View Post
For the record, I think the new PC Decrapifier is, welll...crap. Not near as robust as old versions; doesn't really label a whole lot as "crap" and makes you manually do lots of the work yourself. Umm, yeah...that's what PC Decrapifier is supposed to be; Ninite in reverse!
Interesting. I haven't needed to use decrapifier in a long while. I'll look for something else.