Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM

tomahawkeer is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are interested in getting a degree, and getting certifications, there is a university that you may wanna check out. Its basically a self learning type thing, but you get an actual degree, from a Regionally accredited university (which is the best accreditation) as well as racking up certifications along the way. Its called Western Governors University. Also, the price to take the certification exams is included.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM

ck1402 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will have to check that college out. I appreciate all of the feed back!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 AM

Montrose Computers is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my A+ and Network+ certs back in 2006. I just got good textbooks and studied them like crazy for a few months. Found a website (techexams.net) where I could take practice test which was the most useful to learn with. After I started acing the practice test I went a took the real one. Had to drive an hour away to a larger city. There was a college there that was also a Pearson VUE Testing Center. I had called ahead to set up an appointment to take the test. They basically took me to a computer in the middle of the computer lab, got the test up on the screen, and left me to it. It was pretty similar to the practice test, so was not too bad. Network+ seemed harder than the A+.

As for as whether it was worth it I would say yes it was. At the time I was doing phone tech support for a small ISP and had a co-worker who was always bragging about being A+ certified. So getting my A+ and then my Network+ plus a few months later shut him up. My employers have always seemed pleased that I was certified. But if you are going to be self employed it is not nearly so important. In 4 years of running my company not a single customer has asked what my certifications were. But I am still proud to have them framed and displayed on the wall of my shop.

Last edited by Montrose Computers; 06-01-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

I have found certifications matter very little for self employment. I have yet to be asked by ANY customer whether I was certified in anything. They usually ask where I went to school and sometimes what my major was.

I don't think certifications are bad, and they can definitely teach you a lot. However, I've met more techs in my time (and managed them) that were certified but ignorant. Certifications, in my book, don't prove anything other than you took a test and passed it.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 AM

datagnostic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkwaytech View Post
I have found certifications matter very little for self employment. I have yet to be asked by ANY customer whether I was certified in anything. They usually ask where I went to school and sometimes what my major was.

I don't think certifications are bad, and they can definitely teach you a lot. However, I've met more techs in my time (and managed them) that were certified but ignorant. Certifications, in my book, don't prove anything other than you took a test and passed it.
Yes indeed, for home users it doesn't matter. But if you're doing consulting/freelance work it could be important, as they are usually asking for specific profiles by means of the certification level.

Website under construction: www.datagnostic.be
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Jsch38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Community College Suggestion

Many Community Colleges offer a PC Technican certificate.
You could get most of the general education requirements wavired and start on the core classes. This is a good alternative route to prepare you for the A+ plus exam. You receive hands on training and the book knowledge needed to pass the A+ plus exam. The Community Colleges also have basic customer services skills and some basic business startup classes as part their program.