Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM

crisscross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running Business with Android Tablet

Hi all,
I have an Asus Transfomer (without 3G) that i wish to use for my computer repair business. What I would like to do is track jobs and store customer info on my tablet, but also make all data available offline, if there is no wi-fi to use. I have been looking but haven't really found anything that really suits. At the moment i am just doing up a heap of word doc's, and storing them on Google Drive. Can anybody suggest anything that may make life easier? Thanks in advance, Chris
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Hi all,
I have an Asus Transfomer (without 3G) that i wish to use for my computer repair business. What I would like to do is track jobs and store customer info on my tablet, but also make all data available offline, if there is no wi-fi to use. I have been looking but haven't really found anything that really suits. At the moment i am just doing up a heap of word doc's, and storing them on Google Drive. Can anybody suggest anything that may make life easier? Thanks in advance, Chris
PCRT

https://www.google.com.au/search?sug...e.com%2Fforums
Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Banned

gazza can only hope to improve

Get yourself the New Ipad and purchase PC Repair Tracker and your done.

PC Repair Tracker works a treat on my Ipad, allows my clients to sign repair tickets and repair reports on the Ipad and send them via email or print them out.

I have tried PC Repair Tracker on a Android Tablet and it is not in the same ballpark as the new Ipad.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:28 AM

StableSolutions is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea as far as the app you're talking about... but

As far as the not having wifi issue goes... If you have an android phone (There is probably an Iphone version of this as well but I don't have an Iphone so I wouldn't know) you can download an app called PdaNet and an app called FoxFi

PdaNet allows you to tether your phone to your computer, and it also allows you to share your internet connection via bluetooth with capable devices as well.

FoxFi allows you to use the wifi hotspot ability of your phone (if applicable) without paying for the carrier sponsored app.

Neither of these require rooting your device in any way, though they are restricted to certain markets.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Banned

gazza can only hope to improve

Pc Repair Tracker http://www.pcrepairtracker.com/
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Get yourself the New Ipad
I have tried PC Repair Tracker on a Android Tablet and it is not in the same ballpark as the new Ipad.
There are a lot of different levels of Androids....he has the best of them, an Asus Transformer. If you didn't try apps on a Transformer, it would not be fair to give a blanket negative statement about Androids since you're basing your experience on poorer performing brands.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM

jdpetrov is on a distinguished road

I currently run my business on my droid x, Quickbooks connect, etc, but when the iPhone 5 comes out I plan on switching over. Far too many good business apps for iOS than Android.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
There are a lot of crappy Android tablets out there. The Asus Transformer line is not among them.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
Jim, PCRT makes data available offline? I thought it was completely web-based?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Jim, PCRT makes data available offline? I thought it was completely web-based?
My bad! I missed the O word in the original post!

Yeah if OP is in a rural or remote area with no internet available anywhere, then its not great.

It CAN be run as a local install, but I dont know about doing that on Android or IOS - probably outside of the doability realm. This is where a Windows 8 tablet would come in handy (Im surprising myself at the oxymoron in that sentence, but its not without credence nonetheless)

OP: If not in Rural or Remote, you should be able to tether your IOS/Android device to any Smartphone, making a portable wifi hotspot. This would give you anywhere-access to the www, and hence the possibility of PCRT

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 05-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.