Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

What's his particular reason for wanting to lose Vista and go with XP?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Tepin is on the way

3dp Net should get you the drivers for the network adapters. It will leave a 30 megish unpacked folder in C: afterwards, delete that if it bothers you. From there 3dp Chip will help you get the rest of them if they exist.

You won't be able to get card reader or ACPI drivers with 3dp. These can be a bit more frustrating to locate online but Driverpacks haven't failed me yet for them.

I have the full release of Driverpacks on a network drive for stuff like this. It's a little slow, but I just do a manual update on the device and point it to the folder then come back in 5-10 mins and it's installed. If you are mobile I would suggest putting them on a portable drive.

Even if they didn't load XP on that specific model I would wager money that XP drivers were created for all the hardware that's in it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM

SprinterTech-WI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SprinterTech-WI

and this is why we have a LOT of customers running win 7 pro, native VM for XP that works PERFECTLY........ I won't do downgrades to XP, besides if you have to buy a $130 - $175 license why not go up?

The only ones we go down on are the netbooks we refurb.... win7 starter is a POS but now that win 7 HP is ava. through refurbishing I doubt we'll do XP at all.
Retail stores in Stevens Point, Wausau, and Wisconsin Rapids WI
www.SprinterTech.us
www.Facebook.com/SprinterTech

ALL IT USA LLC
Nationwide Enterprise Level Rollouts and Installations

You or someone you know need Charter Commercial or residential? Referrals pay $$ 715-204-4040
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 AM

gikstar can only hope to improve

I have been using the DriverPack solution to aid me in finding drivers: http://drp.su/.
Creates a DVD that I can use over and over. It works real well for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Tepin is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikstar View Post
I have been using the DriverPack solution to aid me in finding drivers: http://drp.su/.
Creates a DVD that I can use over and over. It works real well for me.
I gave this a try but I can't use a utility in the shop that puts a support link in system properties to a 3rd party company I don't have complete trust for. I would pay these guys a decent sum to sell me a custom branded version but they don't seem to offer that.

I don't recall seeing the Lite version when I downloaded the full image though. It looks similar to 3dp so I'd like to try it tomorrow, if it can do card readers and power management without modifying the system properties page I'll be happy to add it to my kit.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 AM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

Look at the device IDs, use the driver pack, heck, there are Linux Distros that help you ID hardware. I used to load XP on brand new Vista Laptops for a mom and pop and filled a 120 GB hdd for New Dell drivers only. It can take an hour or so to find a driver, but XP has more drivers for it than you would think. I will pop the cover off a desktop to look at the sound and network chips to help me find drivers, and I have poped laptops open to look at the wireless card in them.

I have not found a computer that could not be downgraded from Vista to XP. Newer Win 7 pcs, maby.

My point is, get out there, expect to spend at least 2 hours finding drivers for this system.

P.S. Not to be rude here, but NIC is Network Interface Card.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 AM

uprighttech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepin View Post
I gave this a try but I can't use a utility in the shop that puts a support link in system properties to a 3rd party company I don't have complete trust for. I would pay these guys a decent sum to sell me a custom branded version but they don't seem to offer that.
I had the exact same reaction the first time I tried DPS several weeks ago. I have since found that this can be disabled under the advanced settings on the left side of the window. Also don't like that by default it also installs some other programs. However, this too is easy to avoid once you know to look for it. Annoying, but it is such a useful app, I have decided I can deal with it.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 AM

Tab Alternatives is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tab Alternatives Send a message via Skype™ to Tab Alternatives

As everyone pretty much said, downgrades are a taboo in the OS field. You run into a lot of incompatible drivers etc. A lot of customers who want a OS reload/format often want to stick with what they are most familiar with and are going back to old habits and to stay in their old "groove" if you will.

You have to look at this as an opportunity.

You can sell the customer a version of Windows 7, the service to format/reload the OS, and hopefully up sell him on a fresh new installation of an awesome anti-virus like Norton 360! Not, hehe. From there you can also throw in data backup services etc, the list can kind of go on. Obviously you don't want to nickel and dime your customers, but you have to keep in mind that you are keeping them up-to-date with technology. You have to urge them to step out of their comfort zone and upgrade, because sooner or later they will have no choice and it's better now than later!

Don't call a GEEK, call a PROFESSIONAL.
Facebook | Yelp | LinkedIn | Website