Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 PM

ProfessorCPU is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech View Post
Works good on my old T60 now, though it did create five identical copies of the USB driver! Better too much than not enough I suppose!
Can you possibly zip up the 5 identical driver backups for me? As well as your drivergrabber.log ?

I knew this would happen... but I did not have this issue on any of my test systems. So maybe with your help I can narrow down a way to prevent multiple backups of the same driver.

Thanks!

Your Automated Virtual Technician
PC Management Software
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM

crashtech is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a PM.

Also, I ought to mention it works fine on all the other machines I have run it on, which all happen to be Win7 x64. The only problem has been with my old T60 Win7 x86 system.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

I'm interested in your project. I have a few suggestions and something to point out.

1. I noticed in your log file it mentions DEVCON ... if this is referring to the Microsoft command line utility devcon.exe, you are aware that this is not legal to distribute with your apps. I didn't it extract, but I didn't bother to check if you were extracting and running it from a temp dir or not.

2. If you are NOT using devcon.exe, nor are you using the Win32_PnPEntity WMI class, and are getting the info directly from the registry and then from the INF files, then I have a feature request that would be possible using your methods. Make it work on OFFLINE Windows partitions. I can provide help and we can collaborate on this if needed. It would be no thing for me to give you the ability to programmatically load and scan offline registry hives if you needed...

3. If you are willing to work on #2, then my next suggestion is to provide command line parameter support for pointing the offline driver backup to the appropriate Windows partition/dir.

Looking forward to your response.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 05-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 AM

Yeah for now it is currently using devcon... I've been working on a method to do the same without devcon though. I have a few ideas... And the final idea for drivergrabber is exactly as you requested. I do wish to make it compatible with offline systems / PE disks. If you'd like to help I am definitely up for it. :-)

Thanks for the interest!

I also have a backup utility I created years ago that I never released online. But I don't intend to release it until it has driver backup capabilities.

Commandline options would defiantly be useful for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
I'm interested in your project. I have a few suggestions and something to point out.

1. I noticed in your log file it mentions DEVCON ... if this is referring to the Microsoft command line utility devcon.exe, you are aware that this is not legal to distribute with your apps. I didn't it extract, but I didn't bother to check if you were extracting and running it from a temp dir or not.

2. If you are NOT using devcon.exe, nor are you using the Win32_PnPEntity WMI class, and are getting the info directly from the registry and then from the INF files, then I have a feature request that would be possible using your methods. Make it work on OFFLINE Windows partitions. I can provide help and we can collaborate on this if needed. It would be no thing for me to give you the ability to programmatically load and scan offline registry hives if you needed...

3. If you are willing to work on #2, then my next suggestion is to provide command line parameter support for pointing the offline driver backup to the appropriate Windows partition/dir.

Looking forward to your response.

PC Management Software

Last edited by ProfessorCPU; 05-29-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 AM

1.0 RC4 is uploaded.

It fixes an issue with duplicate backups being made for some drivers.

PC Management Software
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 AM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Does 1.0 RC4 no longer use Microsoft's devcon.exe? Otherwise, you're still illegally distributing it.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM

crashtech is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand, it's legal to use the sources of devcon, tweak them and recompile them with a different name.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:13 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCPU View Post
If you'd like to help I am definitely up for it. :-)
Well, it's a matter of getting your app to work off of the registry instead of devcon.

I actually set out to do this myself recently and got overwhelmed.

I was thinking to query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum subkeys for the Driver value, which would translate to a subkey of HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class where I could query the InfPath value.

From there I have the INF, which I could query it for the [Version] \ CatalogFile= to get the .CAT file and the [SourceDisksFiles] section for the other files, and brute search/pull those files from either \system32 or \system32\drivers.

If you can get the registry method down, I can help you to load offline registry hives in order to query them instead of the live registry. We probably program in different languages (I only do VB6 and I'd be surprised if that is what you use) so it may be easiest for me to just compile and give you a tiny simple command line utility to load offline registry hives. I can give that to you and let your app run it, suppling the path to the hive. e.g. LoadRegHive.exe e:\windows\system32\config\system (e:\ being the offline partition) Then when you are done, you can call it again with the "unload" parameter to unload the hive: e.g. LoadRegHive.exe unload

This idea being to load the SYSTEM hive under HKLM\guest_SYSTEM so in effect to work with offline partitions you would only need to change your code to HKLM\guest_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum and so on and so forth. In my own D7 code I set a variable dependent on whether I am working with an offline partition or not. So my queries go to HKLM\VARIABLE\CurrentControlSet\Enum where VARIABLE is either SYSTEM or guest_SYSTEM depending on whether I'm in offline mode or not. This way I don't have to write different code for my different functions.

In fact, it was easy enough to just do, so I've compiled and attached LoadRegHive.exe to this message for your use. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help further, (if by some chance you program in VB6 I can help with reading reg values, and such) and keep me updated with your progress regardless!

**Also note on systems with UAC enabled you must be running as administrator for LoadRegHive.exe to work. I noticed your app doesn't force a UAC prompt, but if you will be reading certain reg keys you may require admin access. I can also help with you forcing your app to spring the UAC prompt if you need help with that. It is a simple matter of embedding a manifest file inside the EXE, which I use Resource Hacker for. Let me know if you need the details and I'll be glad to help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip LoadRegHive.zip (83.9 KB, 55 views)

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 05-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks FoolishTech. It sounds like you and I have done pretty much the same research! LOL! So it would seem we are both on the same track. It started out making DriverGrabber a few years ago with devcon... just because it was easier to put something together. But I soon realized that I could never use it in a pre-installation environment. So it makes DriverGrabber limited in what it's capabilities could be. I haven't had time to code much in the past couple of years.... so it's just sit on the shelf. To my suprise it was still a pretty popular download online. Getting a couple hundred downloads per month to this day. So this past weekend.... I had some time and decided to update it. I think I'll quickly finish v1.0 Final soon. So that I can work on v2.0 without devcon.

Thanks for the (much needed) inspiration to get back into coding. I was burned out for a while... but I've wanted to get back into coding once again. Back when XP was the main OS I was coding all kinds of helpful utilities... but when Vista and Windows 7 took over I kind of slowed down on the coding front.

PC Management Software
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 AM

Good news! v2.0 is underway. I had time to work on it throughout the majority of the day today. DriverGrabber has undergone a complete re-write and now does not use Devcon. I haven't finished implementing offline os scanning for drivers yet... but it works in a live windows environment. Implementing the offline portion of the code will be the easy part. I also need to make a few more tests on some other systems before I post anything online for v2.0.

PC Management Software