Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

ectta is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up back to the basic first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
If I'm reading it right the power supply is clamping down in a fault condition under load. When you pulled the power jack it looks like you were testing with no load is that correct? I would pull out everything you can and see if the power supply lamp will stay on.
use a regulated power supply about 30v 5A one , plug in , see any reading first!
check the "common point" voltage with the power supply on. if voltage not found, it's should be related to the pre-"common point" ckt(isolation ckt). the dc jack ckt , eye on those pmos of nmos to see whether "half" working or not?
that's chip-level repairing basic!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road
Angry Update...

Well I figured I'd give an update on this machine...turns out that the AC adapter AND the mobo were both bad (I am guessing power surge?). Make a long story short I ordered a replacement mobo off of ebay (used). I swap mobos (reapplied arctic silver thermal paste on the new one) and I am using my sparkle universal AC adapter to power the machine. All goes incredibly well for a short time. I installed SP1 (Win 7) on the machine along with a few other updates and the machine was running great. I had plans this evening so I figured "what better time than now to do a burn in test?". I started the burn in test (passmark) and babysat it for a few moments and all seemed to be going just fine. I left the house for about 4 1/2 hours and came back and the machine was off completely. I hit the power button and the lights came on as if it was going to power on but no video...no HDD activity light blinking...just solid lights (I could hear the fan spinning). I then held the power button down to shut the machine off. After that I tried powering the machine back on but I get absolutely nothing. I not going to mess with it any further tonight and start with a (hopefully) new perspective tomorrow. I am thinking that the burn in test may be what caused the board to fail. Any thoughts? I am very discouraged at the moment and I am considering not doing any type of computer repair anymore as this is just a side gig for me and I don't do much business. Seems that headaches like these aren't worth the money at all. Not to mention that I get to look like a dumb ass giving my customer back the money that they have given me. Again, I am frustrated at the moment but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:57 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Well I figured I'd give an update on this machine...turns out that the AC adapter AND the mobo were both bad (I am guessing power surge?). Make a long story short I ordered a replacement mobo off of ebay (used). I swap mobos (reapplied arctic silver thermal paste on the new one) and I am using my sparkle universal AC adapter to power the machine. All goes incredibly well for a short time. I installed SP1 (Win 7) on the machine along with a few other updates and the machine was running great. I had plans this evening so I figured "what better time than now to do a burn in test?". I started the burn in test (passmark) and babysat it for a few moments and all seemed to be going just fine. I left the house for about 4 1/2 hours and came back and the machine was off completely. I hit the power button and the lights came on as if it was going to power on but no video...no HDD activity light blinking...just solid lights (I could hear the fan spinning). I then held the power button down to shut the machine off. After that I tried powering the machine back on but I get absolutely nothing. I not going to mess with it any further tonight and start with a (hopefully) new perspective tomorrow. I am thinking that the burn in test may be what caused the board to fail. Any thoughts? I am very discouraged at the moment and I am considering not doing any type of computer repair anymore as this is just a side gig for me and I don't do much business. Seems that headaches like these aren't worth the money at all. Not to mention that I get to look like a dumb ass giving my customer back the money that they have given me. Again, I am frustrated at the moment but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Thanks.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but your not really supposed to run load / stress tests for that long. You can kill a new board that way if It is not properly cooled. Anyways, the rule of thumb that I went by (from researching this matter in the past) was 45 - 90 minutes and that is while keeping an eye on the temperature. I have heard other doing it for a few hours, but you are really taking a chance then. You got to remember, the chances of your customer stressing out that computer in the same manner for that long period of a time if extremely unlikely. Finally, I suggest never using used boards for repairs.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but your not really supposed to run load / stress tests for that long. You can kill a new board that way if It is not properly cooled. Anyways, the rule of thumb that I went by (from researching this matter in the past) was 45 - 90 minutes and that is while keeping an eye on the temperature. I have heard other doing it for a few hours, but you are really taking a chance then. You got to remember, the chances of your customer stressing out that computer in the same manner for that long period of a time if extremely unlikely. Finally, I suggest never using used boards for repairs.
Back in the old days, the "gold standard" for burn in testing on a completed system was twenty four hours. Most all system makers advertised that.

No idea what the standard is now, but I doubt that forty five to ninety minutes will accomplish much, although you probably should stay around and monitor temps at least that long.

Agree on the used boards, except in unusual circumstances.

Rick
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by red12049 View Post
Back in the old days, the "gold standard" for burn in testing on a completed system was twenty four hours. Most all system makers advertised that.

No idea what the standard is now, but I doubt that forty five to ninety minutes will accomplish much, although you probably should stay around and monitor temps at least that long.

Agree on the used boards, except in unusual circumstances.

Rick

I guess it depends on the purpose for running the test? When I do load / stress tests, I usually do it for the purpose of checking for overheating and stability. 45 - 90 min is usually long enough to tell you if there are overheating issues. You can then fix the problem and then run the test again. Other than running these tests for over heating issues, what else would you really run them for other then to check for long term stability?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
The test that I ran was a basic 15 min. test (I am running it on my personal laptop now).
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
The test that I ran was a basic 15 min. test (I am running it on my personal laptop now).
ah, got it. Well, at least now you know.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess it depends on the purpose for running the test? When I do load / stress tests, I usually do it for the purpose of checking for overheating and stability. 45 - 90 min is usually long enough to tell you if there are overheating issues. You can then fix the problem and then run the test again. Other than running these tests for over heating issues, what else would you really run them for other then to check for long term stability?
On new or refurb systems, early failures, or imminent failures. On other systems, random, unrepeatable errors. I have a Toshiba laptop in now that the screen randomly goes grey, according to the customer. Running HW test on it to stress the video.

This may help a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-in

Rick
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM

pc142 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's discouraging but don't quit now. I've replaced a number of motherboards with the "refurbished" ones off of ebay. I offer customers to replace with new or refurbished. They almost always choose the refurbs. Only had two bad ones but found the sellers were more than happy to replace the failed board. Success is sweet! If you choose to quit do it after a success not a failure. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc142 View Post
I know it's discouraging but don't quit now. I've replaced a number of motherboards with the "refurbished" ones off of ebay. I offer customers to replace with new or refurbished. They almost always choose the refurbs. Only had two bad ones but found the sellers were more than happy to replace the failed board. Success is sweet! If you choose to quit do it after a success not a failure. Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. I will contact the seller about a return/refund.