Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 AM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road
Default Ever buy a car thru Costco or AAA?

I was listening to Tom Leykis talking about how he loves buying a car through Costco or AAA. You don't have to deal with these douche bags at dealerships who play games with you and make you wait as they walk back and forth to talk to their manager for 15 minutes. I hate dealers too. Next time I think I'll go the Costco or AAA way.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 AM

oldtech will become famous soon enough

Pretty much same experience as buying at Carmax - fixed markup, no haggling on trade-in or purchase price.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Lone99star is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegEdit View Post
I was listening to Tom Leykis talking about how he loves buying a car through Costco or AAA. You don't have to deal with these douche bags at dealerships who play games with you and make you wait as they walk back and forth to talk to their manager for 15 minutes. I hate dealers too. Next time I think I'll go the Costco or AAA way.
Honestly I thought Tom was dead, in the living breathing sense and in the career ending idiot baiting sense.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 AM

RegEdit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
Pretty much same experience as buying at Carmax - fixed markup, no haggling on trade-in or purchase price.
I've wasted more time driving to dealers who SAID that they had the car I wanted in stock, then they'd walk me around the yard, then sit me down for 20 minutes "to go talk to the manager", then tell me they didn't have it but they had this OTHER car that they wanted to sell me. Of course when a dealership DOES have my car it takes like 3 hours to purchase. I hate the little bait and switch games they pull too... like trying to tack on a "destination charge" that they never mentioned and was never agreed upon.... or later you find out that the registration fee is LESS that what they already factored into the cost. I tell them up front that if they pull these stunts I walk.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

Buying a used car from a dealer has changed quite a bit if you havent bought one recently. The Salespeople really dont seem to care to make a deal anymore. Infact, On a recent trip to a local large dealership the salesperson was too busy on his cell phone to pay much attention to my wife. For all we know he was in the middle of playing angry birds than deal with his job. This is not an isolated incident either. It seems to be industry wide. The used car market is big money now and they can pick and choose their customers. I dont play that game anymore. I bought a used Buick Lucerne last December. This is how I did it.

I never buy a car in the big city. I never get a car fax. Why? Because big city dealerships are not hungry like the smaller dealerships. Also, Car Faxes only show repairs that are reported. Any major problem with the car is simply not reported and thus doesnt show up on the car fax.

Anyways, I go on to the dealer lot and eventually I am greeted by a salesperson. After the initial hello I tell them "Im going to buy a car today". I also have my check book in my back pocket. He will see that and know I mean business. I also know exactly what I want as I have a folder with all my internet searches and other information printed and readly accessable. It doesnt really matter what the salesperson tells me. I already know all about the car. When I tell them what Iam willing to pay for the car and they pull the "Ill have to ask the Sales Manager" I follow them to see who is playing sales manager today. I will then get his attention and tell the SM that I will deal with him directly since the sales person is not a in position to discuss pricing on his own. I again inform him that I will be buying a car today. Not tomorrow but today. I want to get this over with quickly. I offer him my price and tell him my offer is good for today only. At the end of the day I will have bought a car. He will counter of course but I will take his card, Borrow his stapler and staple it to the outside of my folder. Then I thank him and leave. I go to the next dealer and perform again. But he can now see that I have visited the competition. He has to beat the competition price. I thank him and once again staple his card to my folder and off to the next dealership. Once I have visited about 5 dealerships I can sit down in my car and call them again and that where we haggle about price. No need to go back to the dealerships. Do it over the phone. I then make a decision and tell them I can be there in 1/2 hour and sign the paperwork. Just keep telling them at every obsticle that "Your going to buy a car today". Iam ruthless with dealerships because they deserve it. Plain and simple. If they tell me they dont want to deal over the phone then I tell them that if they want me to come back in then they should make it worth my while (price wise). I pulled this stuff last december and walked away with a Buick lucerne (2008) with very low mileage for 13k. It was mint condition. I had a problem with the title as they didnt do their paperwork. I had to drive some distance to them to get some additional paperwork and told them how upset I was that they cannot do their job correctly. I got a free tank of gas and car wash out of them. Just for being upset about having to drive over because of their sloppy handling of the titles.

Also, While your dealing get them to throw in the extended warranty deal to sweaten the pot. Make sure it covers electrical or you dont want it.

I have no respect for Dealerships. They deserve no respect and its the one area that I dont care if I upset them. I dont want their business. They remind me of that stuff that floats on the top of ponds.

Ok, My rant is over. But this is what I got:

All leather interior, 2 sets of keys (they dont like giving you an extra set for some reason). This is the cxl model. Nice engine 3.8ltr.

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

I hate the dealerships!! They are such douche-bags for sure!!! That said, they are not all bad though the majority are!

I was negotiating the price on a Honda Civic and Offered $23,200 to one particular dealership, which WAS a fair offer (I calculated it)... but they were insistent they could NOT do the deal for that price.

Suffice it to say, I went to another dealer and THEIR offer to me was $23,033 for the same car! Better than I was even trying to get at the other place, so I bought the car.

The other place called me back (because I walked out) and asked what it would take to sell me a car. I said, "I am the type that will buy it for whoever sells it to me the cheapest!" They said, "so if we beet the other person's price by one ($1) you will buy from us?"

^^^ My response: "No, anybody who asks a question like that will NEVER get my business just on principle alone. You are insulting and I do not want to deal with you." They said, "Well, you have to buy a car somewhere, so we will probably be seeing you." I said, "No, you will not. I drove 150 miles just to go somewhere else and bought the exact same car for $23,033."
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

Isnt that just typical of these shady dealers! I tell you they are all pond scum.

I live in a basically blue collar city and shortly after purchasing my buick a neighbor was doing her afternoon walk and commented on how nice my car looked. She said that she doesnt see too many of these in the neighborhood because they cost so much. But you see, I never pay what the dealer wants! Little did she know that if you really bargain and have done all your homework you can have a really nice car too! For alot less than anyone else

Good job for not going back to that dealer. They would have found a way to rip you back anyways. Most do. I would drive 150 miles also just out of spite!

Best Regards,

coffee

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM

abyssinian is an unknown quantity at this point

The Costco Car Buying Program is a good option for most people. The best shoppers/hagglers can beat the preset Costco prices though. If you are not 100% confident that you can work the dealer in a fashion similar to what coffee has described...AND not be swayed in any way, shape, or form, then you should seriously consider the Costco program. There is something to be said for the ease of having the hard work done for you. Also, if you are having any problems with the dealer not cooperating you can simply call Coscto Customer Service and they will go to battle on your behalf. Of course, this only helps if you are buying a new car.

Consumer Reports and the forums at Edmunds are good resources for pre-purchase research of both new and used cars.

Last edited by abyssinian; 05-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegEdit View Post
I was listening to Tom Leykis
Combover Boy is still alive? I love talk radio, but this guys shtick is a rip off of everyone else.

When my wife bought our Forester, there was almost no haggling. We were ready on the financing and have been happy with that purchase. I was in a bad car accident a few years back and totaled my car. While I was recouperating, my wife and her dad went out to pick up a used car. She did well, got a couple of year old Nissan Sentra with 30,000 miles without haggling. It was a base model, but did the trick. I ended up in another accident, got the car fixed and traded it in for my Cube with only 7,000 miles. No negotiation there either.

However, with my first wife in California, every few years when we went in for a new car, it was always bullshit games with the four square and everything. It was high-pressure, and it was far from pleasant. I have learned to just walk away and find a better deal. Incidentally, we take walks through town fairly often, and I make sure we cruise through the dealerships. I came across the salesman who sold me the Cube. I remember most people, but he stuck out because he was very cool about the whole deal, even let me test drive the Leaf when they got one. We are in a small town where everyone knows everybody and word of a rotten deal moves quick.

Last edited by Cornerstone Technologies; 05-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

I'll jump in and share a car buying story. I was looking to trade in my gas guzzling pickup for something much more fuel efficient. Did my research online and found what I wanted.

I went to the dealership when I got off work, and took a test drive. I told the salesman that was definitely the car I wanted, but he insisted we test drive another. I reminded him it was getting late, but he insisted that was no problem. Fine, I took the test drive, but stuck to the other car. He had me come in, and after checking with his manager, the salesman said they were closing. I reminded him I wanted to buy the car, and also told him that the next time I could come back would be the following week (due to my job at the time). He didn't seem to care.

The next day I went to another dealership after doing more research online. The salesman that greeted me there took me for a test drive and then asked if I was ready to do the paperwork. I was out of there in less than an hour with the salesman even offering to teach me how to drive a stick shift. On my way home in my new car, the manager of the other dealership called and greeted me with, "It is a beautiful day to buy a car." I answered, "sure is, I already bought one at _____." I think he nearly dropped the phone.