Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM

Quinn06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glorified File Server

So we have this client, that has 4 locations, and they are all networked together through a 'direct pipeline' to each location.

Right now they have a Dell Poweredge Server with Win Server 2008. All they want to do is use it as a File server. They want to be able to share a QuickBooks folder and a documents folder to select people at each location.

What they have been doing is mapping drives from the server and giving everyone Admin Rights. (problem is everyone can see everything.) So now they want to customize what each office sees.

So how do I go about setting this up? At the end of the summer we will be revamping the way they use the server completely. We will be using Active directory and the works, but right now they just want to fix this mapping.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Assuming that right now, there is one giant shared folder that everyone has access to?

I'm not sure what you mean by giving everyone admin rights.....do you mean the share is shared to the whole domain users group? So all users have equal rights to the shares?

Is your goal to have certain folders shared to certain people?
If it's a small group, control the security part of the permissions on the share (the NTFS level) to only certain users. If it's a larger business with many users...it's easier to manage by creating security groups...such as "management"..and adding certain domain users to that group. And then on the security level of the share ..instead of "domain users"...you share it to the "management" security group. (along with Administrator, system).

On the "share" level of the folder...I share to everyone. It's on the Security tab..the NTFS part..where I whittle down who specifically I wish to allow into the folder...and getting more granular...can specify full permissions, read only, etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Long Time Tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Create user accounts and security groups and assign NTFS permissions as desired.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Tech View Post
Create user accounts and security groups and assign NTFS permissions as desired.
This....

However, I think the OP is saying he doesn't want to do that right now as they're planning to roll out AD at the end of summer.

Try creating different shares e.g. Company (for files) Quickbooks etc.
Create AD accounts on server to match e.g a user called Quickbooks and give that user exlusive access to the share.

Then write a batch file for the clients that disconnects all drives then maps Quickbooks as the Q:\ drive using the credentials created on the server.

Rinse and repeat for each share.

Have the batch files run at client logon.

Voila.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 AM

Long Time Tech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubya View Post
This....

However, I think the OP is saying he doesn't want to do that right now as they're planning to roll out AD at the end of summer.

Voila.
You can do the same thing with local accounts.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM

PcTek9 has a spectacular aura aboutPcTek9 has a spectacular aura about
Default approach this with extreme caution. :)

Back up everything on a removable drive and store it somewhere, and charge them for that.

Even back up their individual computers...

This way nothing gets lost.

I can't tell you how many times I migrated a company from a "free for all workgroup" to active directory, only to have someone say, "you wiped out my windows xp home? you put on xp pro? you put on win 7?" etc...

Back up each individual computer if you have to update those.

When you ask everyone "Do you need anything on your pc?" they always say "No all my files are on the server..."

Which is always because they have no idea where there files really are...

I've met some extremely intelligent people shuffling around millions of dollars, and they never realized that the proprietary software they were using, was doing it all on their local hard drive.

They were oblivious to so many federal statutes regarding accounting requirements by the IRS and SEC it was unreal. So be very very very careful, backup everything.