Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 AM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about
Default Free 25GB Skydrive upgrade

This news is about a month old, but I hadn't seen anything about it here yet, but feel free to ignore of this is old news.

For any SkyDrive users who were just getting the free 7GB option, like myself, SkyDrive is offering a free upgrade to 25GB. They are calling it a loyalty upgrade, so it's probably only for existing users. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't run out of space in my dropbox account.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road

I've been on skydrive for at least a year and my free storage has always been 25 GB.

To be honest though, the initial setup was as far as I went with it, the interface is pretty lame and limited in its functionality.

I got in on the Box free upgrade back in March to 50 GB
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

Really! I don't remember when I signed up, but 7 is all I got. And Dropbox is making me work just to get to 16 (I think?) with referrals. Looks like I am once again, late to the party.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Been a user for a while, was at 7....upgraded to 25.
I haven't used Skydrive for much yet.....due to just the 7 gigs, but it's part of the MESH features which I really use. Specifically the remote desktop part.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 AM

OneHandClapping is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to OneHandClapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful View Post
I've been on skydrive for at least a year and my free storage has always been 25 GB.
Skydrive started out as 25GB, but they have dropped it to 7 for new customers, and existing customers will be dropped from 25 to 7 if they don't do the "free upgrade" step. It's super easy to do. Just sign in to your skydrive account and it will prompt you to do it. If it's not too late. I don't remember what the time frame was doing the upgrade.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM

theshehu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do you trust your data?

Is it really a good idea to store data in the cloud? I am Sec+ certified and as far as I can tell its a risky gamble. Also theirs the matter that everything you post the company owns.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to allYeOldeStonecat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshehu View Post
Is it really a good idea to store data in the cloud? I am Sec+ certified and as far as I can tell its a risky gamble. Also theirs the matter that everything you post the company owns.
Have you see the frequency of malware infections lately? Rogue/fake alerts/trojans. The easy dumb ones just annoy the end user. The purposeful ones drop little bots/trojans into the network. Those guys mine the data and upload it....the better coded ones work in stealth....nobody knows they're infected.

What's the frequency of malware infections lately? It's safe to say..that within a years time, over 90% of business networks will have at least one workstation get infected. Within minutes of that infection..the back door has opened on that entire network.

IMO, sticking with big brand "cloud" solutions....is at least as safe/secure as keeping that data on your own network.