Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

I would try this
http://goo.gl/vVjlb
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

For reliability I would definitely suggest a workstation board and CPU. Go with ASUS or Intel boards and an Intel CPU. For RAM I would suggest a brand like Kingston which seems to be on everyone's compatibility list. Don't go with some crazy clocked RAM because you will have to dial it in. For HDDs I would go with Western Digital. I haven't utilized SSDs yet, but I believe the two big names are Intel and OCZ (Used to sell memory until they sold the division and focused on SSDs).

You are probably looking at anywhere from $1000 - $2000+ depending on processor model and amount of storage capacity. Amount of RAM will factor in to the price, but not as significantly unless you choose ECC or server grade RAM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM

rustynails87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Omg idk what to do!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynails87 View Post
Omg idk what to do!!!!
How much money do you have to spend?

I am sure one of the fine gentlemen or ladies on this site that build custom computers would be happy to build you an awesome home media server.

Last edited by altrenda; 05-22-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: removed snarky comment
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I will be using this computer/server for mainly storage/backups

I will be streaming to the TV my video's and my music/movies to other computers.

It will basically be a media computer.

I need something that will be reliable and will last a very long time.

Well what do you guys have for RAID setups? Am I going at this in the wrong direction?
IMO...SSD is overkill since you'll be doing network transfers. It's a "server" (granted a desktop OS..but being used as a server).....who cares how fast it boots up, servers usually sit quietly in the corner running 24x7x365.

Sounds like you want a media server. I'd consider something other than Windows 7. Perhaps FreeNAS (upcoming version has media plugins).

I'd shoot for enterprise grade drives (5 year warranty)...and models meant to run in appliances 24x7 (quieter, cooler)
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM

James_S is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
IMO...SSD is overkill since you'll be doing network transfers. It's a "server" (granted a desktop OS..but being used as a server).....who cares how fast it boots up, servers usually sit quietly in the corner running 24x7x365.

Sounds like you want a media server. I'd consider something other than Windows 7. Perhaps FreeNAS (upcoming version has media plugins).

I'd shoot for enterprise grade drives (5 year warranty)...and models meant to run in appliances 24x7 (quieter, cooler)
If it's strictly a file server, I second using FreeNAS. However, if you use FreeNAS, you can set it up with ZFS and eliminate the need for pricier enterprise drives. ZFS is a modern file system with end to end support for data redundancy and protection against corruption.

You can have it setup with Raid-Z (similar to RAID 5), assign hot spares, specify certain directories to be duplicated more than once, and other cool features. I don't know for sure if FreeNAS supports it, but ZFS can also have SSDs setup to cache the whole array.

ZFS was originally developed by Sun and now that Oracle bought them I don't feel completely confident in its future. FreeNAS is also built on FreeBSD and is pretty user-friendly but it's not Windows.

FreeNAS may not be what you're looking for but I would definitely consider it. I was going to build myself a 12TB server with FreeNAS or Nexenta but I don't really need and when HDD prices went through the roof I put that project on hold.

EDIT: Another option if you can wait is the storage spaces feature coming in Windows 8.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Quote:
Omg idk what to do!!!!
How old are you? When your posts are read right after another, you sound like a 15 year old and come off as an end user. Just curious.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

You have built 3 separate threads concerning the same issue. You should take a refresher on the forum rules before continuing. Can we get a mod or admin to consolidate these threads before any more posts please?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Merged three threads, not sure how they will flow.