Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM

ell will become famous soon enough
Question Missing xbox movies after using Fab's

Hi, I set up a new laptop for a customer and used Fab's to transfer all his data from an old laptop (dead mobo) over. Everything went well, 93 gb moved, but he calls later that night in a panic that his saved xbox game .wmv files aren't there. He claimed they were in sub-directory in his my videos folder, I logged in remotely, and yes, nothing there. Anybody seen this issue before with Fab's? FYI, we're talking win 7 to win 7 here. I know little about how xbox game files are stored

Last edited by ell; 05-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:44 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

What does Fabrice have to say about it?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Fabs saves a log file with everything thats transferred. What does that say?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM

RedFoxComp is on a distinguished road

They were probably in his win7 video libraries, but in a different directory that was not in his profile.

In the future, if you are doing a complete reinstall, take a disk image using something like Acronis Trueimage and keep it on hand for a month. (Inform your client that you're doing this and why and have them sign off.) THEN perform your Fabs and reinstall.

I have a directory on my server with all the images and it auto-deletes files older than a month once a day.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

I don't know anything about the XBOX either. Maybe if you're lucky, the XBOX stores the WMV files on it's internal HDD and it's just a matter of setting up the Video "Library" folder to include that location. But that's a long shot...

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM

tarik is on a distinguished road

the xbox movies will be wmv format. sounds like he was streaming them from his old laptop to his xbox like a media server. Iv done this in the past. It depends where they were stored on his laptop. They wont have been kept on his xbox though. Do you still have his old hdd?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 PM

Canadian Tech is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Canadian Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Canadian Tech

If he was using Vuze or Ares they would be stored in their own folder but usually located in My Documents. Fabs should have transferred them over. The best you can do is find the files on the old drive and transfer them over.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:46 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFoxComp View Post
In the future, if you are doing a complete reinstall, take a disk image using something like Acronis Trueimage and keep it on hand for a month. (Inform your client that you're doing this and why and have them sign off.) THEN perform your Fabs and reinstall.
Another vote for taking a full image before doing almost anything. When doing a Fabs backup I also manually copy any non standard folder or directory. You never know where a client or program will store data.

I lost a customers data once due to a bad backup, and never want to go through that again.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 AM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
Another vote for taking a full image before doing almost anything. When doing a Fabs backup I also manually copy any non standard folder or directory. You never know where a client or program will store data.
+1

Whenever I do anything significant (such as a N&P) that affects the HD, I always image it first "just in case". I've only had to go back to it twice, but boy am I glad I had done it!