Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM

computerdoctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting Clients to Service Contracts

I've had quite a few businesses call me to do work on a specific problem/problems. Most have called me again, but often much later. I'm not nearly as good at sales as with technology, so I wonder how do I get them to sign a service contract, especially smaller businesses. I have an instance now where the client is generating a large bill (1st call). When do I say, for $450/month, I'll do xyz but here's the bill for $1500 for this last week.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

After at least a few months...after you've spent time with their staff, their computers, and have a good idea of their "monthly needs"....propose one.

Non-profits especially love fixed budgets.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 AM

StableSolutions is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the easier to sell "contract" packages is a bulk hour contract.

They agree to buy 10 hours a month at a discounted rate of XX.00 per hour for 6 months.

I go by use it or lose it hours and I don't allow rollovers on my contracts, but if they didn't use ANY of their hours, I'll give them either a discount next month or the first visit is free or something like that.

I also offer a service contract that is entirely different but I won't share that here yet.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

I'll echo what others have said. You'll want to wait a few visits. Let them become comfortable with you before you propose a contract. We have had one client go immediately to one, but that taught me the valuable lesson to get an idea of their needs first. Otherwise you may get hosed.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 AM

StableSolutions is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I realized about contracts today while talking with a potential client (Knew them through a previous employer) and I realized that if they sign up for a block-hour contract immediately and then don't need you next month then they may feel like you conned them into something.

I wouldn't want to screw up that relationship with them so I'm suggesting either an hourly rate, or my membership program (alternate subscription)