Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

Everybody makes fun of the geek squad probably because they mess up a lot being so prolific. I really don't think if you or I ran a computer shop with 5,000 locations we wouldn't mess up a lot either... but it is the over-all "pay $150, dump it, and buy a new one" approach I don't like. If troubleshooting takes only 2 minutes and it is not economical to repair, there should be no charge...

I had a lady at work I helped with her computer. It was a Dell and I pressed CTRL-ALT-D and it said "Return Code -7"... replaced the HDD and re-installed Windows & Copied her data back... it worked perfect. Gave her a super rate of only $60 because she was a co-worker, and I just wanted to inconvenience her enough to let her know it isn't free, and make it hurt her just enough to know she cannot interrupt my life free of charge anytime she wants... I charged merely as a matter-of-principle only.

Pretty soon she mentioned that the AntiVirus I installed (Security Essentials) was not adequate... that she took her computer in for a check-up at the GeekSquad (I don't remember why) and they told her the AntiVirus her meddling/tinkerer friend (me) installed is inadequate and that she should leave it to a professional and they installed some other product and charged her for the product/installation of course.

Funny how they never met me but tell their customers I am a tinkerer. While it is true they see more computers and sweet-talk their customers to the point they are agents and have badges to confirm they are honest, and it was surely an isolated incident, it is not good to talk poorly of another tech to someone else because it is pure slander. I hold a B.S. in ITM, an M.S. in CIS, MCSE 2003, A+ Desktop Support Technician, CCNA, CCNP, Net+, and MCITP, which really doesn't mean a lot when fixing a desktop computer.

^^^ It would STILL be that the Geek Squad has more experience than I do fixing individual computers recently though years ago (i.e. 2005) I fixed thousands before I started working with servers, storage, and networking... and it is like riding a bicycle - you don't forget and the same troubleshooting (hardware/software) methodologies still apply. Either way, it isn't exactly hard to be competent enough to install Windows, all the drivers to make Device Manager happy, install all the programs, and run Microsoft Update. Oh, and Security Essentials works well enough as a basic, lightweight AntiVirus product... Obviously, I did fine and with a clean install Windows XP worked flawlessly (no surprise).

Anyway, soon she reported a problem with Internet Explorer where it would not display pages properly - yeah, I have seen wierd stuff like this and it probably means a Wierd toolbar, Browser Helper Object, unlinked DLL, over-zealous Security Suite blocking some content etc. She asked me how to fix it and I responded, "it could be any number of things but would probably take a while to diagnose and correct; I don't have time to look at it."

Geek Squad Solution:

She comes in a couple of days later and says, "I took it to the Geek Squad and they fixed it immediately! You said it would take a lot of time to look at and diagnose, but the agent had it back to me in about 5 minutes!"... "He showed me that I now click a Big-Red-O to get to the Internet."

I said, "Yeah, but if you double-click the Big-Blue E it still doesn't work right does it?" She was like, "Well, yeah, but I click the Big-Red-O now." I said, "Yeah that is because they did not actually fix the problem at all. Instead, they just installed another Web Browser to work-around the problem without ever finding out what is wrong and fixing it.

Last edited by NETWizz; 05-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

Are you all discrediting the noble name of the Geek Squad?

I had a friend of mine that worked there for a few months. Oh the stories he had. I still remember when he got a job with a local repair firm. He said the training was so tough, and I told him that was because they were training him right.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 PM

nesrinamb is on the way

From what i have seen is that the guys in the geek squad that actually know what their doing leave after a few months, they end up leaving for better work somewhere else, the guys that have no idea and cant use deductive reasoning tend to stay and play pretend.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM

C.Quill is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesrinamb View Post
From what i have seen is that the guys in the geek squad that actually know what their doing leave after a few months, they end up leaving for better work somewhere else, the guys that have no idea and cant use deductive reasoning tend to stay and play pretend.
Yes, they do

For some reason I know, but anyway I had to make this message at least 20 characters.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Quill View Post
Yes, they do

For some reason I know, but anyway I had to make this message at least 20 characters.
My favorite time was when I was going through college, I got a part time job as a sales rep at Futureshop.

I discovered that not only did I know more than the techs, I was making more money as a sales rep than they were in the repair shop.

Eat that and see how it tastes.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 AM

C.Quill is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcomp View Post
My favorite time was when I was going through college, I got a part time job as a sales rep at Futureshop.

I discovered that not only did I know more than the techs, I was making more money as a sales rep than they were in the repair shop.

Eat that and see how it tastes.
No, I made more than the sales reps. It was all just a very difficult position to be in. But I did my job and I did it well.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM

nonchalant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I'd say at least $150
Well you only get what you pay for....

wait...

no you dont
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM

CNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

hey if you shake it hard enough you may get something loose inside.. then for sure you can blame it on the PC/Laptop.

But seriously... When your able to figure something out that a Multi-Million dollar company cannot train their technicians to find out... Kinda makes you see the window of opportunity.. HUH!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM

buzzcut is an unknown quantity at this point

last year I helped setup BB in my town, did the cabling and installed & setup all computers, cash registers, scanners, peripherals. They asked me for an interview for GS manager, came in second because they had allready hired a manager then offered me a tech position. I declined because I'm just to honest.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 PM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkZf...eature=related

A client send me this recently. This guy is so mad at Geek Squad