Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-09-2012, 05:26 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-quebec View Post
This is a DSL modem-router, some ISP need special setting like VPI, VCI. When you use the ISP modem it's already configured, in your case you may need to adjust few more setting. I will for sure call the ISP and ask them about it, unless they provide the information on their website.
Wouldn't make sense because a single computer works, and it only goes out when there is multiple connected.

Sounds more like internal addressing, firmware, or hardware related.

Want to know what's new with Remote Support Tech Team? Want tips to help increase at counter sales after a repair?
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if it would cause the router to disconnect but recently I had the same situation where another computer connected to the same router would go extremely slow. It turns out the computer connecting causing the problem had developed a faulty nic and was causing a broadcast storm. I tested by disconnecting the cable and installing a USB wireless dongle.

Last edited by Martyn; 05-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM

TechLoopPC is an unknown quantity at this point

When he connects "another device" is he connecting the same "another device" each time? It's possible that the "another device" has malware on it that's creating tons of requests and flooding the network. So as soon as it connects, the network is crippled.

I had this happen a few days ago, one computer had malware -- whole network was crawling, as soon as I unplugged the infected system the speed went right back. I was actually able to run ping -t on another system and watch as I unplugged the infected computer -- the ping time went from 500ms right back down to average (50ms-ish) within seconds of unplugging the computer. Once computer was cleaned up, all was fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM

CraiGDaniel is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. Network settings are not incorrect as it all connects and i have manually checked them via the ISP's website and all is good.

Regarding last two posts, this was my initial thought. After the first few checks my immediate question was how many laptops have you connected and he said when his relative comes over a few times a year, when she connects her laptop it slows down the main computer exactly the same as their second computer and crashed the router.

So 2 different laptops and they both crash the router, clueless other than faulty router/corrupt firmware
Thanks for every reply so far

Last edited by CraiGDaniel; 05-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 PM

CraiGDaniel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
Not sure if it would cause the router to disconnect but recently I had the same situation where another computer connected to the same router would go extremely slow. It turns out the computer connecting causing the problem had developed a faulty nic and was causing a broadcast storm. I tested by disconnecting the cable and installing a USB wireless dongle.
This could be possible, i would need to get him to try connecting two different laptops and disconnect the main machine or install a wireless dongle on his desktop machine to test this, not sure it's something hes capable of.

So difficult to diagnose network problems without physically being there with tools and what not.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM

pc-quebec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcomp View Post
Wouldn't make sense because a single computer works, and it only goes out when there is multiple connected.

Sounds more like internal addressing, firmware, or hardware related.
I was not troubleshooting his problem, I was simply explaining that you have some extra setting to take care with adsl modem.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM

Big Jim is an unknown quantity at this point

That model of router sounds very similar to the one I used to have, it had s imilar issue in that it would randomly drop connection and need a hard reset to work again.
I never found the source of the issue and I put it down to the router just being on its way out due to being old.
I replaced it with another one and never had the issue again.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 AM

kisk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
That model of router sounds very similar to the one I used to have, it had s imilar issue in that it would randomly drop connection and need a hard reset to work again.
I never found the source of the issue and I put it down to the router just being on its way out due to being old.
I replaced it with another one and never had the issue again.
Have had this same issue as well in the past. Wired connection worked fine.. anytime any wireless devices connected, the router would freak out and drop connections, reset, and overall just strange behavior. Firmware upgrade didn't fix anything, different network settings made no difference. Finally concluded the wireless controller was faulty and replaced the router. No more problems.

EDIT: BTW, I try avoid "combo" modem/routers at all cost. There are too many variables that can cause things to go wrong, and diagnosing future problems is a lot harder with "combo" hardware.

Last edited by kisk; 05-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.