Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM

nibblesandbits is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need help creating VHDs often; automatically; solution?

Has anybody considered making their own BDR? How are all the companies virtualizing every 15 minutes? Can anybody point me toward the software that does this and preferably an open source software? I have a concept in my head that in theory would work, but in practice won't because it's too resource intensive.

I was thinking about using disk2vhd in a scheduled task that images the disk every 15-30 minutes. (This would be impossible because disk2vhd doesn't support incremental backups and each back up would take FAR longer than 15 minutes and would be too large to keep for any reasonable amount of time) Then push that vhd to a FreeNAS storage server located in a facility with adequate speed (maybe rackspace, or even AWS). I'd also like the remote storage server to have the ability to create a virtual computer that is reachable via RDP like datto. I suppose what I really want to do is emulate Datto, but keep it all in-house instead of paying a third party.

What's the BARE minimum I could do this with? I think if I could even JUST figure out how to get incremental VHDs or VMware images, I'd be set. Forget running it virtualized in the cloud itself. Anybody know of a way to create these incremental images?

On a side note, is incremental the word I should even be using here, or is differential the correct term?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM

nibblesandbits is an unknown quantity at this point

Did some more research. I just need StorageCraft, huh?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 PM

krtechsolutions is on a distinguished road

Appassure or shadow protect

I have built and sell bdr solutions

As well as off site storage

Last edited by krtechsolutions; 05-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.