Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 PM

MotzTech has a spectacular aura aboutMotzTech has a spectacular aura about
Default Windows 8 won't include Media Center automatically

An interesting move from Microsoft, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot here honestly. They make a new version of an OS and take things out?!?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...?tag=mncol;txt
Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM

colonydata is on a distinguished road

How many people actually use media center to start with? i've never come across any one that does.

the people that do will probably pay for it. so i doubt its going to shake things up to much.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 PM

MotzTech has a spectacular aura aboutMotzTech has a spectacular aura about

It's just more confusing and frustrating for the end users. I mean sure, I can download a dvd player off the internet, but a end user who does not know how to do that, it's going to be a shock for them.

Lets say Bob buys a computer at best buy, he sees it has a DVD drive, so by his logic it must be able to play DVDs. He gets home and gets all setup and tries to play a dvd, but wait he can't. Now on top of the money he just spent on the computer, he has to purchase yet another product to play the DVD. Of course he could get it for free by downloading a free product, but he may not know that.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

I think this is a pretty minimal impact on the average end user. I haven't seen a new computer lately that doesn't come with at least 1 non-windows dvd player.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 AM

Craka is an unknown quantity at this point

Dissapointing for me, I use media centre in HTPCs.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Jamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craka View Post
Dissapointing for me, I use media centre in HTPCs.
Same here, main PC at home is media centre
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

I don't have a problem with this. I don't know that I have a single customer who uses it.
My Vista install had MC as part of it. I hated it and installed some real software.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or something.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.
Never trust a "tech" with a hotmail address.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I don't have a problem with this. I don't know that I have a single customer who uses it.
My Vista install had MC as part of it. I hated it and installed some real software.
Same here.

Most people just stream from the Internet anyway.

Netflix and most broadcasters websites are marked in the favorites of many of my residentials (and some SMBs, but don't tell the boss lol)

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 AM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

"Lets say Bob buys a computer at best buy, he sees it has a DVD drive, so by his logic it must be able to play DVDs.
More than likely if he buys a new computer from Best Buy or wherever, it will come with Power DVD or some such, like Dell's and HP's do now. no problem.

The problem comes from the custom builders or up graders that will have to include some 3rd party software.

I don't think its as big a deal as some make it out. There will be far bigger problems when Win 8 rolls out than its ability to play dvds.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Same here, main PC at home is media centre
Bingo, me too. We've used Media Center as our home media center and only DVR since XP Media Center 2005 was first released. Windows 7 Media Center is by far the best one yet and works great!

I will say this, I'm more than willing to pay for Media Center as an upgrade as long as the put some effort into improving it. I think it's great now but it could always be better and I'd like to see more apps for it. If they keep producing it and making it better, I'll pay. Heck I'd give $100 for Media Center alone if I had to. I firmly believe that Media Center used as the front end for a media pc/DVR is by far THE best and most under utilized and appreciated piece of software that MS makes.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37

Last edited by Appleby; 05-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.