31 - 35 2 5.71%
36 - 40 2 5.71%
41 - 45 1 2.86%
45 + 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM

lewis159 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How old were you when you started your computer repair business

Hi i am looking at starting a home computer repair shop this year but only being 19 and having not work for a repair shop before but have been working on mate and family for a couple of years now and 3 years of college under my belt.
So i am asking how old were you when you started your own business
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

I had been working computers since I was like 14. What this actually means is that I was tearing apart computers and doing more damaged then good for many years. When I got into my 20s I started working with Linux and doing small jobs here and there as a hobby, but it was not till I was 23 that I really decided to make it a business decision. I have never worked in another shop before, so I had no reference to base my business off of. In many ways, this was probably good as I did not learn a lot of bad habits. In any case I started this business with $50 and 2.5 years later, we are doing very well and we are the fastest growing shop in our area.

On a side note, I was 14 when I owned my first business (not with papers obviously) doing landscaping. I started with a push mower and weed wacker, then eventually got a riding lawnmower, edgers, blowers, etc. and made about $100 a day, which was good for being a kid.

When I was $20, I became a painting contractor (learned from my father) and did very well for myself, but I hated painting and my wife could not deal with the seasonal work. Eventually my father took it over before I opened the computer shop and now he is doing extremely well.

Do not let age be a deciding factor for you when it comes to business. Just make sure you can learn from other peoples mistakes and avoid as many of your own as possible.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"

Last edited by PCX; 05-03-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC is on a distinguished road

PCX your a true go getter.

Started a computer shop when I was about 33 maybe 32. Before that I was (still do) a programmer. Did hardware and netwroking there too, so as that business dwindled down about five years ago I started a repair shop. We still do software development, custom programming etc, just not as much as when the economy was flush.

Secatores Customized Software
www.Secatore.com
Old 05-04-2012, 02:07 AM

computerfx is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 12-13 when I started tearing them apart, at 15-16 I was the go to for friends and family. And at 17 I had my mom sign for my first flea market booth. Hung a "Computer Repair" sign had a small toolkit and software binder, and that was that. Flea market for a few years, and by 20 I started subleasing from a local nerd shop (Magic cards, D&D, etc) then we moved into a Mall and I quit all my other jobs by 22ish. My only regret... not having the cojones to rent my own store earlier. The best time to start a business is young. When you still live at home or with roomies. You don't have people dependent on you, not as much to lose, and plenty of time and energy to make a good go of it
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 AM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

Had my first job repairing computers at 14 working for a computer repair shop in eastern NC. Moved to a competitor during college as their store manager. After I moved to Ohio a few years later I got a job managing a team of technicians for a four store local chain. Ended up starting out on my own about a year after that, and opened up a retail store when I moved to Virginia. I am now back in NC (western part though), and we've been in business just over four years. At 27 now, I can't believe what I learned, but the most important thing is that I continue to learn.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Luis Rodriguez is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 24 and just started my business. just keep in mind things don't happen right away and don't get discouraged with a slow start. Show people your worth and the jobs will come in.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Doctor Mouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My first business

I started at 10, repairing family computers. Most of them Fat Macs and HP-150. Great days... You can start at 8 or at 80, the magic is the same. Computers Rocks!
I started my first computer business when I was 12, selling computer parts and software to my school mates parents, great time.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 PM

tarik is on a distinguished road

I started my business when I was 13. Dad took me to a computer fair, left me there and collected me when the day was up! Had sales of 90 on my first day! My best day was 6000 and three big van loads of stock. Not bad for 5 hours really.