Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM

gikstar is on the way
Angry Smoking!!! Yuk

Well we loaned one of our associates (does contract work for us) who works out of his 'home office', one of our home build server systems that we put in place as a loaner to clients while we wait for their server to be ordered and put into production. He's a heavy smoker and I got it back a month ago. Man, does it stink, still.
I've taken it completely apart and used the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes on it and it still smells. Wiped all of the fan blades down but may end up replacing all of the case fans in this Antec 900 case.

Does anyone have any experience cleaning something like this and have a suggestion other than putting the parts in the dishwasher?

I've even tried putting Lemon scented Ammonia (one powerful smell in itself) in a cup with the case closed up and the system running... still the smell remains.

So, any suggestions? And no, this contract employee is no longer working for us.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC is on a distinguished road

Lol, can't think of anything short of dishwashering it. We've got a MAC in here that smells like coconut, it's like an airfreshener for the shop.

Secatores Customized Software
www.Secatore.com
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Tekko will become famous soon enough

Replace the power supply.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM

gikstar is on the way

Yes, I'll be replacing the power supply, probably just write the thing off and get rid of it. Maybe I should put it away for when I need to upgrade a PS for a smoker?

Yeah, I rather go with the coconut smell myself.

I'm not a smoker and have never been one and I have the smell of cigarettes. I worked in the financial district of San Francisco for many years and was elated when the first laws were enacted where you couldn't smoke in the office, unless you have four walls or something like that. Don't know exactly how it was worded, but I ended up with a desk just outside of the manager's office who was a smoker and kept his door open, the smoke traveled my way of course. Fortunately, that has all changed.