Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 AM

Velvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hosting video on website

I have a client who wants a video on their webpage.

They would like full screen capability and it to look the best it can look but not buffer constantly.

I know these desires are in direct conflict with each other.

Is there a solution to it?

I am using Dreamweaver and have put the video up but:
1) It doesn't offer full screen (The owner of the company desired this)
2) I put it up with fairly high quality
3) It streams fine for me, but the owner of the company said it stuttered alot on his end and other employees on site.

Thanks for any tips (I'm not a web developer by any stretch of the imagination.)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 AM

tf76 has a spectacular aura abouttf76 has a spectacular aura about

Did you look into JWPlayer like I suggested last time?

Here is your previous post:

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36844

Aside from this I would suggest you lower the quality of the video.
What format/options did you use when making the video?

Need more information to help you further

Last edited by tf76; 05-01-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 AM

Hi,
Yes I did look into that. It seemed a little over my head, so I opted for putting the video on its own page and making it 640x480 (if I recall) that way it was fairly big and I could get around having to deal with making it full screen.

However the owner wants it bigger but also says it stutters when it plays.

I'm not sure how to address that, or if it can be addressed. Is there a way for it to adjust quality/size based on connection?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 AM

tf76 has a spectacular aura abouttf76 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvis View Post
Hi,
Yes I did look into that. It seemed a little over my head, so I opted for putting the video on its own page and making it 640x480 (if I recall) that way it was fairly big and I could get around having to deal with making it full screen.

However the owner wants it bigger but also says it stutters when it plays.

I'm not sure how to address that, or if it can be addressed. Is there a way for it to adjust quality/size based on connection?

What is the url for the video?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Its mickey mouse in terms of accessibility. I reckon a more lengthy conversation is merited here, in terms of appraising the customer of the pitfalls of high res video, and some of the technical considerations and issues involved.

Maybe consider using an applet with either auto-tuning to the visitor's bandwidth, or a manual switch the option to play at lower resolution would be one way of supplying what the customer wants, but in a way thats actually going to make the video watchable for anyone viewing with lower bandwidth.

As you would be aware there can be a lot of other factors impeding on bandwidth availability (ie local network load, etc) and so even just basing this on 'my customers have broadband" is not a lucid approach.

One thi9ngs for sure, if its high res and it buffers a lot, a lot of people will just not bother to watch it. Probably not the goal the client has in mind, if the video is important in terms of information provision or sales or whatever.

In terms of video 'size' (ie full screen), its about bit rate. So you can have high bitrate, large size (large and detailled, and slow to download) or you can have low bitrate and large size (large and pixellated and fast to download). Some experimentation might be in order to determine if you have to use high bitrate to get the job done (ie ifd the customer doesnt mind pixellation in order to get more consistent playability results with large display size).

Choice of codec is probably important too. Decent compression will help with getting more detail in lower filesize.

I would put it back to him/her and discuss what the problems will be with insisting on full-screen, especially if the video needs to be a significant bitrate.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 05-01-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 AM

Since I am not a web developer, does anyone have an idea what an applet that could automatically change res. on the fly would cost roughly?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 AM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

Why not just have them create a YouTube channel? You can upload the video there and embed it in the site. YouTube does everything you mentioned.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM

Youtube may be a possibility, but I'm not sure they would want the advertising. If not, anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost for an applet that would do it?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

geek12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think in your case YouTube is the best choice.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 PM

jrl2222 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about vimeo.com. I have used it a little for personal stuff. It allows embedding in an iframe, fullscreen viewing, it is similiar to youtube in a few ways but you can also keep control of things better I believe.