Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 AM

katz has a spectacular aura aboutkatz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssinian View Post
Given the low price and your recommendation, I'll probably grab one of those Heli's for my son and I to play with. Almost got one last xmas but it was $60ish and my son really isn't old enough yet anyway.

We have one of those cheap Tyko RC cars that can flip upside down and keep going. My son loves watching me drive it, but won't touch the controller. I think something slower and easier to control would make him more comfortable. An RC Crawler is probably perfect for us...just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a "toy".
Well, sounds awesome & your son will love you for it. The one in the link, the Syma s107G specifically is rated as one of, if not The best for a starter micro heli.

Replacement parts are readily avail. for it should you need them. I have crashed mine into the wall, TV stand, etc, countless times & still haven't broken it. As long as you remember to let off of the control and don't keep forcing the rotor to spin when you crash you will be fine.

Check out some youtubes on that heli, you will be sold! I actually modded one of mine to fly faster & it is a l'll speed demon now (well, not really) but it is a bit faster since I lightened it up.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

I havent flown in a couple of years now, other than keeping my skills up on sims. I was pretty heavy into it for a while but Family, Business and Study took over what little spare time I had. I hope to get back into it by the end of this year.

I have a couple of High winged trainers in my garage and a nice Low wing aerobatics model, which is sitting in a box waiting to be built.

I have a customer who is a MAAA Heavy Model Instructor ( this is in Australia) who has a large garage full of planes and Jets that he has built. I always allocate a couple of extra hours when I visit him, as after I finish his job he takes me on a tour of his new constructions.

I am also looking at getting into quads and looking into automation and programming with aurduino boards, but one step at a time. I am not doing too much more till I get some real airtime again.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 AM

katz has a spectacular aura aboutkatz has a spectacular aura about

andcorptech,

I've been away from the field for a few years too, so when I realized the advancements in these micro helis & saw I could have some fun w/o leaving the house I decided to spring on it.

Lots of fun, more fun than simulators, let me tell you! I started out in nitro models years ago & then went to 4 strokes, but with the advancements in batteries/tech, I may just go with all electrics from now on.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 AM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

I wanted something special. Something that no one else had made. I also wanted to build it from scratch. So, I built a Great Lakes Ore Carrier!

I named it "Northern Thunder" and it was just cool. Measuring about 53 inches long and 10.5 wide, This thing could carry a six pack no problems! I even had it out in lake michigan at one time.

I got mad because people would take their boat and try and screw with it. So, I got some rc rocket engines and made missles for defense. I did fire one off once as a warning shot and hit a van on the other side of this river it was in. Luckly no one was around to see it. Was pretty hilarious.

Eventually the Northern Thunder developed hull rot and I striped it and floated it out and sunk it.

Thats my experience with rc. Pretty fun stuff I gotta say. But I dont have the time or money for that stuff anymore.

BUT!

I would really like to build a scale rc model of the Hindenburg!! That would be too cool! Something that is like 1.5 diameter and soooo long. Taxi that thing out of your garage and people are gonna look!

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz View Post
andcorptech,

I've been away from the field for a few years too, so when I realized the advancements in these micro helis & saw I could have some fun w/o leaving the house I decided to spring on it.

Lots of fun, more fun than simulators, let me tell you! I started out in nitro models years ago & then went to 4 strokes, but with the advancements in batteries/tech, I may just go with all electrics from now on.
I know but there is just something about nitros. The smell, the feel. Plus the club i was with was fun socially as well
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 AM

vtscomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

I started flying R/C planes about 15 years ago, with a PT-40 trainer. I outgrew that in about six months and have been "working" on building a Top Flite Corsair since 1998. I figure someday I'll have to time to finish it..
Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM

gurusonwheels is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to be into Nitro helis ,, been out for a while now ... wanting to get a larger scale electric heli but the lippro bats and chargers are out of site .
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM

bigdessert is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm into micro helis and just getting back into planes. All electric now.

Flew a ton of glow back when I was a teenager but then got out of it.....my how the times and technology has changed....

Now I have been flying a Blade MCP X for about 6 months and just going to building my first plane this week. Never really been into cars/boats though.

Last edited by bigdessert; 04-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

I have three complete planes, a boat and a nitro car.

I got into RC cars first, then planes, then the boat came along just about 3 weeks ago. All where gifts from family members, so I only buy the replacement parts. BTW, buy a foam plane vs a balsa or fiberglass plane. Much cheaper, faster and easier to fix, though you do have to use a special type of super glue on them.

I have the Typhoon 3d (fav plane), a Ultimate Biplane (woodie, scared to fly it), and a Navy traner Trojan (its too fast for my skill level and my flying area)

The car is an extreme RC nitro 1/8th scale buggy. 4wd and a .16 engine.

The boat, I don't know, I got it second hand and I fixed it, but I need a battery to drive it. It seems fast, water cooled motor, but the hull is kinda flimsy plastic.