Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

View Poll Results: Which media do you recommend for local backups?
Hard Drive 10 52.63%
NAS 4 21.05%
Tape Drive 4 21.05%
Other 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
Larger clients...managed, NAS for image based backups of the servers..and then I copy to external USB drives (like WD passport) for carry off. Those are encrypted.

For clients that have say 1 server and do the backup themselves, I use the removable 2.5" SATA disks....like Dell RD1000, or HP RDX (both of which are re-labled Tandberg units)...internal drives...SATA connector inside, look a lot like tapes but the cartridges are just 2.5" laptop SATA drives. Fast, durable, no cleaning needed. The internal drive unit itself is quite inexpensive (200 bucks vs say..1600 or 1800 bucks for an Ultrium tape drive) cartridges are expensive....but they last at least 5 years so you don't need to get new tapes yearly and no cleaning tapes.
I was wondering if anyone else uses RDX drives. They're much easier to handle than external hard drives, and more rugged as well. Anyone still using tape backup should check them out.

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair