Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
Sorry, but from my experience over the years, it does not eject the disk out if there is an issue with the drive itself. It will eject the disk sometimes if their is something wrong with media. And I do know there are various ways to find out and I gave him one. I run into bad superdrives very often on old Macs.
How old do you think a 27' iMac is? But what do I know...?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM

Benchtech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
How old do you think a 27' iMac is? But what do I know...?
I purchased lion and made both a usb and a DVD the dvd worked great removed the old customers info and reinstalled just fine.

thanks everyone, even you AMT =)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

Even if it was only 6 months old; you don't think a hard drive or superdrive could go bad just because its Apple. In reality it is still just a computer just like others except how its built. I admit that Apple usually uses higher quality components but that doesn't mean one can slip through the cracks or one could get mishandle after it has left the factory.
Hell, I bought a brand new Macbook Pro before and right away it got hot and it warped the case. Sent it in for warranty repair and received it back. It was not my original but most likely a new one. Again, it got hot and warped the case and also overheated the hard drive to the point of no return. Researching the issue I came to find out that this was very common with my model. Later there was a recall on power adapter. Then after that a recall on the battery.

So NO, from my experience its not impossible to get a faulty device. Again thats my experience. Yours mileage may be different.

A better question to the OP would be... Are you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or are you using something you found off the internet?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally... Were you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or were you using something you found off the internet? Before you bought Lion and installed it. Just curious.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Even if it was only 6 months old; you don't think a hard drive or superdrive could go bad just because its Apple. In reality it is still just a computer just like others except how its built. I admit that Apple usually uses higher quality components but that doesn't mean one can slip through the cracks or one could get mishandle after it has left the factory.
Hell, I bought a brand new Macbook Pro before and right away it got hot and it warped the case. Sent it in for warranty repair and received it back. It was not my original but most likely a new one. Again, it got hot and warped the case and also overheated the hard drive to the point of no return. Researching the issue I came to find out that this was very common with my model. Later there was a recall on power adapter. Then after that a recall on the battery.

So NO, from my experience its not impossible to get a faulty device. Again thats my experience. Yours mileage may be different.
I wasn't arguing that superdrives in Apple computers never go bad. What I was arguing is that with the symptoms he was having with that machine using that disk, it was highly unlikely. Had he the correct build of OSX for that machine I would have said check the optical. It was pretty much a no brainer that it was an incompatible OSX version, but then again I see this kind of thing almost daily.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM

LOL...MacTech, I wasn't disagreeing with your suggestion. I was just giving him another suggestion to try while waiting around for install DVDs. If it didn't work, then I would have suggested what you did. I didn't know he had Lion to install.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally... Were you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or were you using something you found off the internet? Before you bought Lion and installed it. Just curious.
Pirating is for Pizza Tech's I pay for all my software, the OSX 10.6 Disk I have is retail not the grey one that comes with the PC.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM

bsil is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you solved this already, but here is something I have done (in the school I work at for my full time job).

I install a copy of the OS I want to use to an external USB/Firewire drive. On that drive I install Deploy Studio http://www.deploystudio.com/Home.html (it is free). It is an imaging software. Then I take an image of the external drive. Finally just boot off the external, and run deploy studio. Point it to restore the main mac hard drive with the image you just made.

It finishes. Reboot. Happiness.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsil View Post
I know you solved this already, but here is something I have done (in the school I work at for my full time job).

I install a copy of the OS I want to use to an external USB/Firewire drive. On that drive I install Deploy Studio http://www.deploystudio.com/Home.html (it is free). It is an imaging software. Then I take an image of the external drive. Finally just boot off the external, and run deploy studio. Point it to restore the main mac hard drive with the image you just made.

It finishes. Reboot. Happiness.

Like the method I mentioned, that would require an older machine. It'd be quicker and easier just to use target disk mode to install directly to the iMac's hard drive, then update.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14049752 View Post
Like the method I mentioned, that would require an older machine. It'd be quicker and easier just to use target disk mode to install directly to the iMac's hard drive, then update.
I already made an image of lion on my portable iOdd (virtual rom) so no more fuss.

iODD is now owned by Zalman VE100 i think is the model number best $80 I ever spent (now it's under $40 lol)