Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

  Technibble Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
anonymous Mac Tech's Avatar
anonymous Mac Tech anonymous Mac Tech is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,512
anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
Sorry, but from my experience over the years, it does not eject the disk out if there is an issue with the drive itself. It will eject the disk sometimes if their is something wrong with media. And I do know there are various ways to find out and I gave him one. I run into bad superdrives very often on old Macs.
How old do you think a 27' iMac is? But what do I know...?
__________________
[FONT=Arial]ACMT[/FONT]
Quote:
People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer. Andrew Smith
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Benchtech Benchtech is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 710
Benchtech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
How old do you think a 27' iMac is? But what do I know...?
I purchased lion and made both a usb and a DVD the dvd worked great removed the old customers info and reinstalled just fine.

thanks everyone, even you AMT =)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
kevinjhaag kevinjhaag is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 505
kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road
Default

Even if it was only 6 months old; you don't think a hard drive or superdrive could go bad just because its Apple. In reality it is still just a computer just like others except how its built. I admit that Apple usually uses higher quality components but that doesn't mean one can slip through the cracks or one could get mishandle after it has left the factory.
Hell, I bought a brand new Macbook Pro before and right away it got hot and it warped the case. Sent it in for warranty repair and received it back. It was not my original but most likely a new one. Again, it got hot and warped the case and also overheated the hard drive to the point of no return. Researching the issue I came to find out that this was very common with my model. Later there was a recall on power adapter. Then after that a recall on the battery.

So NO, from my experience its not impossible to get a faulty device. Again thats my experience. Yours mileage may be different.

A better question to the OP would be... Are you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or are you using something you found off the internet?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
kevinjhaag kevinjhaag is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 505
kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally... Were you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or were you using something you found off the internet? Before you bought Lion and installed it. Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM
anonymous Mac Tech's Avatar
anonymous Mac Tech anonymous Mac Tech is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,512
anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
Even if it was only 6 months old; you don't think a hard drive or superdrive could go bad just because its Apple. In reality it is still just a computer just like others except how its built. I admit that Apple usually uses higher quality components but that doesn't mean one can slip through the cracks or one could get mishandle after it has left the factory.
Hell, I bought a brand new Macbook Pro before and right away it got hot and it warped the case. Sent it in for warranty repair and received it back. It was not my original but most likely a new one. Again, it got hot and warped the case and also overheated the hard drive to the point of no return. Researching the issue I came to find out that this was very common with my model. Later there was a recall on power adapter. Then after that a recall on the battery.

So NO, from my experience its not impossible to get a faulty device. Again thats my experience. Yours mileage may be different.
I wasn't arguing that superdrives in Apple computers never go bad. What I was arguing is that with the symptoms he was having with that machine using that disk, it was highly unlikely. Had he the correct build of OSX for that machine I would have said check the optical. It was pretty much a no brainer that it was an incompatible OSX version, but then again I see this kind of thing almost daily.
__________________
[FONT=Arial]ACMT[/FONT]
Quote:
People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer. Andrew Smith
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
kevinjhaag kevinjhaag is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 505
kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road
Default

LOL...MacTech, I wasn't disagreeing with your suggestion. I was just giving him another suggestion to try while waiting around for install DVDs. If it didn't work, then I would have suggested what you did. I didn't know he had Lion to install.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Benchtech Benchtech is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 710
Benchtech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjhaag View Post
Originally... Were you using a original Apple Dvd of OS X or were you using something you found off the internet? Before you bought Lion and installed it. Just curious.
Pirating is for Pizza Tech's I pay for all my software, the OSX 10.6 Disk I have is retail not the grey one that comes with the PC.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
bsil bsil is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 37
bsil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I know you solved this already, but here is something I have done (in the school I work at for my full time job).

I install a copy of the OS I want to use to an external USB/Firewire drive. On that drive I install Deploy Studio http://www.deploystudio.com/Home.html (it is free). It is an imaging software. Then I take an image of the external drive. Finally just boot off the external, and run deploy studio. Point it to restore the main mac hard drive with the image you just made.

It finishes. Reboot. Happiness.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
14049752 14049752 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,314
14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsil View Post
I know you solved this already, but here is something I have done (in the school I work at for my full time job).

I install a copy of the OS I want to use to an external USB/Firewire drive. On that drive I install Deploy Studio http://www.deploystudio.com/Home.html (it is free). It is an imaging software. Then I take an image of the external drive. Finally just boot off the external, and run deploy studio. Point it to restore the main mac hard drive with the image you just made.

It finishes. Reboot. Happiness.

Like the method I mentioned, that would require an older machine. It'd be quicker and easier just to use target disk mode to install directly to the iMac's hard drive, then update.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Benchtech Benchtech is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 710
Benchtech is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14049752 View Post
Like the method I mentioned, that would require an older machine. It'd be quicker and easier just to use target disk mode to install directly to the iMac's hard drive, then update.
I already made an image of lion on my portable iOdd (virtual rom) so no more fuss.

iODD is now owned by Zalman VE100 i think is the model number best $80 I ever spent (now it's under $40 lol)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technibble.com is based out of MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.