Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 AM

Tepin is on the way
Default Refurbishing Computers

I work in a retail location as the computer repair tech and a large part of my customer base is older people who invested a decent amount of money in a PC and hoped it would last them 10 years. Sadly they are failing, usually the hard drive or power supply.

In the past it was viable to refurbish Prescott P4's with XP. I have a good source for retired machines from businesses, offices and agencies. I'm starting to have more access to modern machines at good prices, that can support a modern OS without $100 worth of memory. Sadly though since many of them are Vista era and are business class they have XP Pro on them.

In a low income market I'm always dealing with competitors that are selling pirated Windows. There are even a few retail shops that I've seen advertising machines that seem fishy to me.

The Pawn Shops around here sell the machine in the same condition it was in when it came in, not even a factory restore. And people still buy them because they think they are getting a good deal on a powerful Windows 7 machine. Half of them end up in my shop with flaky hardware.

I really want to be able to offer refurbished machines to customers at a reasonable price. Sadly XP is going to be at it's end of life to soon for me to recommend purchasing it. I would like to be able to start selling refurbished machines with Windows 7 on them. From some numbers I've seen tossed about it seems like it's obtainable as a Registered Refurbisher.

I don't expect anyone else to divulge prices in this thread, but if anyone who is in the program can answer 2 questions for me I'd be very grateful.

Can I purchase a Windows 7 refurb license for any machine I'm refurbishing to sell? Does the original OS license matter?

How much do you sell a system with specs similiar to a 2.0ghz dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80-160GB hard drive and Windows 7?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

You can get a 3 pack of Windows 7 for $80

You have to submit your original COA to MS before they will give you a product key for your Windows 7. I believe there is an exception to the rule if the product key is missing, please someone correct me if I am wrong.

As for refurbs in general, make sure you always run a full diagnostics and do a clean install. As for pricing, that really depends on the laptop, specs don't mean much if the quality or name brand sucks. I suggest looking on ebay or google shopping for similar refurbished units and price a little higher than what they are listed at. You can do this because the people you are selling these too have the ability to touch and see the unit before purchasing, instead of just hoping they get something decent online.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post

You have to submit your original COA to MS before they will give you a product key for your Windows 7. I believe there is an exception to the rule if the product key is missing, please someone correct me if I am wrong.

As for refurbs in general, make sure you always run a full diagnostics and do a clean install. As for pricing, that really depends on the laptop, specs don't mean much if the quality or name brand sucks. I suggest looking on ebay or google shopping for similar refurbished units and price a little higher than what they are listed at. You can do this because the people you are selling these too have the ability to touch and see the unit before purchasing, instead of just hoping they get something decent online.
The only exception is if you are selling the PC to a registered charity. In that case, you don't need the original.

Otherwise, the original needs to be there.

There is a chart on Microsoft's website listed with the registered refurbishers that show what original OS can go with which new key.

The charity key is also alot cheaper as an FYI if you can get into something like that.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.

Last edited by carrcomp; 04-27-2012 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Missed information
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcomp View Post
The only exception is if you are selling the PC to a registered charity. In that case, you don't need the original.

Otherwise, the original needs to be there.

There is a chart on Microsoft's website listed with the registered refurbishers that show what original OS can go with which new key.

The charity key is also alot cheaper as an FYI if you can get into something like that.
Thank you, I knew I read something similar to that, but I couldn't remember all the details. I have not been a member for very long.

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you, I knew I read something similar to that, but I couldn't remember all the details. I have not been a member for very long.
No problem.

Too bad schools don't count as a charity.

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/shop

Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 AM

Tepin is on the way

Quote:

Thank you for this reply, it's very informative!

I always do a full hardware test on every machine with PC-Check. It was introduced me as a burn in tool in the 90's when I started working tech and find it useful for repairs as well as refurbs.

A full wipe and reload, with updates, a legitimate A/V, and basic software to "make the internet work" and utilities are included. When I sell a refurbished machine for $150 they are paying and getting $100 worth of labor. In the past this meant XP machines with later P4s. Easy solution for someone who is bitter about investing $1000+ in a machine that didn't last ten years.

If anything funny happens during this process it goes back for stricter testing.

I guess I didn't make my questions clear, my focus is on refurbished desktop machines.

Laptops don't have the durability and most of the used laptops I buy are for salvage. The more modern machines that I have access to aren't laptops. I do more migrations to new laptops then I sell used.

The machines are almost all MPC ClientPro and slim Optiplex. I obtain them with core 2 duo's, 1-2 gigs of DDR2 and 80-160 GB hard drives for $65-85 a piece. The majority of them are from a University and Hospital group. I would love to sell them with Windows 7 and not lose much on markup, they are reliable machines that have simply been replaced by scheduled upgrades.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepin View Post
Thank you for this reply, it's very informative!

I always do a full hardware test on every machine with PC-Check. It was introduced me as a burn in tool in the 90's when I started working tech and find it useful for repairs as well as refurbs.

A full wipe and reload, with updates, a legitimate A/V, and basic software to "make the internet work" and utilities are included. When I sell a refurbished machine for $150 they are paying and getting $100 worth of labor. In the past this meant XP machines with later P4s. Easy solution for someone who is bitter about investing $1000+ in a machine that didn't last ten years.

If anything funny happens during this process it goes back for stricter testing.

I guess I didn't make my questions clear, my focus is on refurbished desktop machines.

Laptops don't have the durability and most of the used laptops I buy are for salvage. The more modern machines that I have access to aren't laptops. I do more migrations to new laptops then I sell used.

The machines are almost all MPC ClientPro and slim Optiplex. I obtain them with core 2 duo's, 1-2 gigs of DDR2 and 80-160 GB hard drives for $65-85 a piece. The majority of them are from a University and Hospital group. I would love to sell them with Windows 7 and not lose much on markup, they are reliable machines that have simply been replaced by scheduled upgrades.
You would have to buy windows 7 software for them if they didn't originally come with windows 7.

I beleive Vista is the only exception, which allowed for an upgrade to windows 7 starter (the version might be wrong on that)

Your best bet is to sign up for the Microsoft refurbisher program.

It's free to sign up, and at least you'll have all of the information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/shop

Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 AM

Tepin is on the way

Quote:
You would have to buy windows 7 software for them if they didn't originally come with windows 7.

I beleive Vista is the only exception, which allowed for an upgrade to windows 7 starter (the version might be wrong on that)

Your best bet is to sign up for the Microsoft refurbisher program.

It's free to sign up, and at least you'll have all of the information.
I only sell refurbs with licensed copies of Windows. What I have read has convinced me to lean on the owner to apply and put me as the contact.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepin View Post
I only sell refurbs with licensed copies of Windows. What I have read has convinced me to lean on the owner to apply and put me as the contact.
Maybe the laws in Canada are different than the laws in the state.
PCX, tell me something.

Is it legal to sell a used computer without refurbing it?

In Canada, you must "refurbish" a windows PC before selling it by purchasing a licence through the refurb program, installing with the media they provided when you signed up, and affixing the new refurb licence key near the old one (without covering the old one, obscuring it, etc)

Is it different in the US?

I ask you because you specifically stated you were also part of the refurb club.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/shop

Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe the laws in Canada are different than the laws in the state.
PCX, tell me something.

Is it legal to sell a used computer without refurbing it?

In Canada, you must "refurbish" a windows PC before selling it by purchasing a licence through the refurb program, installing with the media they provided when you signed up, and affixing the new refurb licence key near the old one (without covering the old one, obscuring it, etc)

Is it different in the US?

I ask you because you specifically stated you were also part of the refurb club.
You can sell a laptop in any condition around here. As long as you specify that it either has a warranty or it is sold as it. You do not have to be an MS refurbisher, I just became one for the Windows 7 Upgrades.