Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising Critique

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 AM

Reegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I have an honest website critique please?

I'm just starting out with my business ( < 5 customers so far ) and made a simple site with a free joomla template and some things I found from around the net.

I just wanted something simple to show what I can do and what they can expect for prices and what-not.

I'm still working on a logo. Once I actually have some money coming in, I plan on getting a logo designed and purchasing a better joomla template.

So, can I get some feedback from everyone. Maybe some suggestions on content or things I should omit.

Site - www . ftwce . com
(Forum wont let me post URL's yet, sorry)

Thanks everyone,
Chris
Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah ok. I havent done one of these for awhile, so here's my 5c.

Your joking about calling your business FTW computers, right?

-

On the site itself, I reckon its pretty good actually. Its easy to navigate, loads relatively fast, and looks ok.

You may want to incorporate:

1. customer testimonials. - visible on each page

2. calls to action

3. service area map (if someone is interested in calling you to book onsite, how do they know what areas you service?)

4. a decent logo...
- theres an issue when the pages load, and the grey background of the logo itself actually overlaps onto the menu. This could be easily fixed by making the logo background transparent.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 04-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
Yeah ok. I havent done one of these for awhile, so here's my 5c.

Your joking about calling your business FTW computers, right?

-

On the site itself, I reckon its pretty good actually. Its easy to navigate, loads relatively fast, and looks ok.

You may want to incorporate:

1. customer testimonials. - visible on each page

2. calls to action

3. service area map (if someone is interested in calling you to book onsite, how do they know what areas you service?)

4. a decent logo...
- theres an issue when the pages load, and the grey background of the logo itself actually overlaps onto the menu. This could be easily fixed by making the logo background transparent.
THAT IS SO AWESOME!

LOL, way to reach out to the younger texting generation!

Anyways, your site is a bit dated, I apologize that I am not going much further than that, I suggest getting a good modern wordpress template.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Also,

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT (did I emphasize that enough?) USE CLIP ART!

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 AM

Simon Yates is on a distinguished road

LOL

I'm on the fence about FTW as a name.

I assume you plan to Pwn your competition?

Anyway...

I don't have anything new to add, it's pretty much been said already.

A call to action and a nice BIG phone number, testimonials for sure and yeah your logo needs some work.

Regards,

Simon.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Thanks for checking my site out everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I made some of the changes and added a service map.
Not having done any of this before, it's a lot to take in and keep up with.

I am aware what FTW can stand for. I figured which ever meaning you are aware of, you probably won't forget it. As long as I have "For The Win!" somewhere on my front page, flyer, and business cards, they should be ok with it. If they ask or say "Hey, don't you know what that stands for?" I can point out what I have it stand for. I thought it was catchy and surely something to stick in their memory.

I'm still looking for a free testimonial module for Joomla. I haven't found one yet that "plays" well the rest of my layout.

As for the difference b/t Joomla and WordPress, I'm not sure of the advantages or disadvantages of each. I installed WordPress and found it to be clunky and not as configurable. Maybe it was just me, but I liked the way Joomla felt off the bat.

The "professionally" designed logo is going to have to wait until I get some cash in-flow. I can't afford it right now. I was looking at trying out 48Hours Logo when i get some income.

Do you have any suggestions for CTA's? I'm not sure I fully understand what they are supposed to be.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a noob,
Chris
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 AM

Simon Yates is on a distinguished road

I'm no graphic designer, but I do alright with photoshop.

I was feeling creative and figured i'd try and help out a fellow technibbler so i whipped up a quick logo for you.

Don't feel obligated to use it.

If you decide you want to use it, it's your for free.

Regards,

Simon.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 AM

I like the little guy sign thing, that is what I'm going for.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 AM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
I like the little guy sign thing, that is what I'm going for.
Props to Simon!

Reegs, you just got several hundred dollars worth of work for free! What are going to do now? Go to Disney World?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
Do you have any suggestions for CTA's? I'm not sure I fully understand what they are supposed to be.
The only really significant advantage of WP over Joomla that I can think of is that it has much broader userbase and therefore better plugin support. As to whether thats any issue for a nasic computer repairs website is probably unlikely, but if you want tyo get really customised with it, it could mean more work making changes manually. Thats about it. Im a big believer in the importance of intuitiveness in whatever platform you use - that factor alone can save shitloads of wasted time and frustration.

In regard to CTA's they are actually something its worth taking time to read up on as they are critical to your site's conversion potential. < This link will get the ball rolling

Besty of luck with your site. For what its worth, I reckon you have got off to a good start.

I have to differ with you on the name thing, though....