Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 AM

thecompu-doctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what do you do when a DC jack transplant fails?

Mostly just curious how you handle it when you're replacing the soldered DC jack on a board and the surgery fails? I've done ton's of jack surgeries, but on an occasion, the don't work, the board may just be to worn. It seems to me like this has happened more with gateway's over the years than any other manufacturer.

I'm curious how you talk to the customer about this when it happens?
www.richmondcomputerdoctor.com
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

First off, I do not replace power jacks on Gateways, they are junk and I tell the customer that as well . . . I wont warranty it because I have seen similar issues all too often. If the customer wants it done still, I tell them they will have to take it somewhere else as I do not do repairs I cannot warranty.

In any case, all you can tell them is that the board was probably fried due to them trying to use their laptop while being damaged, assuming that the jack was loose and they had to jerry rig their charger to get it to work.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM

jay007 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you replaced the dc jack and it still does not power on you either mis-diagnosed the problem or left your soldering iron on there to long and damaged the tracks. I have seen some botch jobs from customers and even other techs where the tracks were that damaged that no dc jack would ever work. In cases like that i often follow the track along the board and solder some wire straight to the dc jack.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay007 View Post
If you replaced the dc jack and it still does not power on you either mis-diagnosed the problem or left your soldering iron on there to long and damaged the tracks. I have seen some botch jobs from customers and even other techs where the tracks were that damaged that no dc jack would ever work. In cases like that i often follow the track along the board and solder some wire straight to the dc jack.
or the loose socket damaged the board. It might not be the tech's fault at all.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM

jay007 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a massive difference between a loose socket and someone not able to solder properly. I think I know the difference by now.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 AM

phaZed has a spectacular aura aboutphaZed has a spectacular aura about

Hey Doc,

When I do DC jack repairs I always use a multimeter to check the board for power.. if the board exhibits the on/off issue when wiggling the jack.. or is not getting any power then I go ahead with the repair.

Of course, most of them work, however, for the ones that do not work.. I check the board for power again.. if power is there and the board doesn't power on I charge the customer for the job anyway... the DC jack was successfully installed. If the customer decides to get a motherboard replacement I waive the DC jack installation charge (But not the cost of the part).

Gateway boards are the worst for me too.. not necessarily for bad DC jacks, but certainly for dead ones. Gateway = eMachines too BTW.

Aaron Heidlebaugh
Computer Technician / Owner
www.AaronsPCSupport.com
804-307-4465 (Call or Text)
Laptop LCD repair | DC Power Jack Repair | Virus Removal
Desktop Repair | Hardware | Software | Troubleshooting
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay007 View Post
There is a massive difference between a loose socket and someone not able to solder properly. I think I know the difference by now.
So somehow you have the ability to judge what the problem is in this specific case without ever having seen it?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM

carrcomp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to carrcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechie View Post
So somehow you have the ability to judge what the problem is in this specific case without ever having seen it?
I think he was referring to the ones that he's seen physically, not this in particular.

Everyone keeps talking about recurring revenue ... but where do you start?

White Label Residential and Business managed service plans are available for as little as $10/month. Call today for more information.

866-568-2813.

www.rstechteam.com/country-select
www.rstechteam.com/shop

Need a template for your contracts and check in forms?
Click here for your copy of Technibble's Computer Business Kit.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Tekko will become famous soon enough

How about:

No charge for the repair if they purchase the replacement from you. Otherwise just bill 30 min of bench work, or your diag fee.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 PM

crashtech is an unknown quantity at this point

The customer needs to know the deal up front. I tell them that the procedure is usually successful, if it is not and they wish to avoid paying for the unsuccessful attempt, they need to either opt for board replacement or buy a replacement machine from me.

I've never had anyone refuse this when it's stated up front.