Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM

union122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sharing Resources

Hello Techies,

I am looking for a way to share resources (file server and email ) from 2 different domains that are connected via mpls network. The connection is open, no restrictions and both dns servers from either domains are in each other zones. There is no trust within active directory domains, but would like to have users go to the new location and be able to access their files on their domain server.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Sound like you may want to setup a trust between the two directories. Assuming neither server is Small Business Server (since SBS cannot do trusts).

Or...assuming if these two companies will remain under the same umbrella...do a migration of one of the domains (the smaller one probably, easier)...and turn it into one directory at both sites.

Or...setup a Remote Desktop Services server (what used to be called Terminal Server) for each to remote into across the tunnel.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Trust forest is not an option at the moment.

Yes, thanks.. the smaller division is merging to the larger parent company. But the logistics are not open yet. We are having users go to the main HQ a little more and more, need to access their files from the file server.

thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM

bsil is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. We just did this at work. We created a new domain for all the new hardware we were buying, but we were not updating mail servers because we wanted to go with a hosted web based service at a later date. The mail server sits in the old domain, so the only way for users to access it was to create a trust, and then point Outlook to the old domain.

If you don't want to set up the trust, you could have mail auto forwarded to a webmail account like gmail or something, and have data held in the cloud. Depending on how sensitive the data is, you could possibly have them use something like dropbox to hold files for the short term so they can access them in both work venues. For my main line of work (schools) the data is not very sensitive for 90% of the users, so this could work. It may not be a good solution for the business you are dealing with though especially with the cloud storage ToS. They all seem to hold the ability to keep a copy of your data. As I said, for teachers, this is typically acceptable.

I guess the only other option is to set up a VPN for each user that is traveling, and have them log into the old domain that way. And now that I'm thinking about it maybe you could use something like log me in, so they just access their desktop remotely?

Hopefully one of these helps.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the input, clouds or dropbox is not an option at this point. I was thinkin that you could authenticate due to the fact that there is an open connection between the locations, a secure mpls network..
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by union122 View Post
Yes, thanks.. the smaller division is merging to the larger parent company. But the logistics are not open yet. We are having users go to the main HQ a little more and more, need to access their files from the file server.

thanks
Since it's a merger....we can figure it's permanent...I'd do the migration then...migrate the smaller/less complicated network into the new one.