Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Gabzor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motherboard dilemma for customer thoughts needed ASAP!

So i built my customer a system, Foxconn A76ML-K 3.0 AM3, with an amd x2 2.50 ghz regor core i think.. basically it was working fine (was running windows server 2003)

shes using it as a pos server (it should be on 24/7), but basically it died within 3 days of use.. i bought the board from newegg, and tried to RMA , but i don't have the original box, (thought it was going to work great so i tossed the box) so now i have to go through foxconn

out of desperation, i went to a couple local fry's
and got a ASUS M4N68T-M V2 problem is no accessories, no ioshield
but it is an ASUS, and its capacitors look alot more solid..

now the customer needs her server up and running asap.. my option is to run the asus without the ioshield, and order one from asus, and wait for it to come, but that means i have to pull everything out again, so maybe i shouldn't make the wires all super fancy, until the part comes..

but what am i going to do with the foxconn once it gets back? if i can't send it back for a refund.. honestly i have no use for it but to maybe upgrade my old 939 rig later on.. and just keep it on storage..

would the better option be to just use the tell customer? i mean she wants stability asus is the probably the most reliable brand out there..

other components, i obviously went with the best, such as an certified antec psu, etc the board, i went kind of low, because the features, he needed ide, etc.

thanks guys

Last edited by Gabzor; 04-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabzor View Post
shes using it as a pos server (it should be on 24/7), but basically it died within 3 days of use.. i bought the board from newegg, and tried to RMA , but i don't have the original box, (thought it was going to work great so i tossed the box) so now i have to go through foxconn

out of desperation, i went to a couple local fry's
and got a ASUS M4N68T-M V2 problem is no accessories, no ioshield
but it is an ASUS, and its capacitors look alot more solid..

now the customer needs her server up and running asap.. my option is to run the asus without the ioshield, and order one from asus, and wait for it to come, but that means i have to pull everything out again, so maybe i shouldn't make the wires all super fancy, until the part comes..

but what am i going to do with the foxconn once it gets back? if i can't send it back for a refund.. honestly i have no use for it but to maybe upgrade my old 939 rig later on.. and just keep it on storage..

would the better option be to just use the tell customer? i mean she wants stability asus is the probably the most reliable brand out there..

other components, i obviously went with the best, such as an certified antec psu, etc the board, i went kind of low, because the features, he needed ide, etc.

thanks guys
The way I see it, is why do you need the original mobo's box to rma a board? I mean imagine 11 months down the line and the board goes, do new egg expect that same box to be kept all that time? Use the asus box turned inside out to rma it. That should suffice.

Not sure on new eggs rma process, but could you not simply ask for a refund, as the board is faulty. We do here with our suppliers in the uk.

Re the asus board, personally I would just go out and purchase a new asus board complete with all acc's.

Do you not keep old io plates from old mobo's? Yes you occasionally have to tinker to get it to fit, but more professional than simply leaving the board plate less. Either that or search eBay for the backplate.

You should know the mobo's is the most integral part of a system, and should not be skimped over o save a couple of $.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 AM

yes i absolutely agree with you that the motherboard shouldn't be skimped on, but recently, over the years i didn't know foxconn made products for apple, and i do know they make all the connectors so i thought quality control must have gotten better..

yeah they said they need the original box, which i thought was funny, guess i'll try asking for a refund..

"Yes. All original equipment, components, manuals, cables, documents and packaging must be returned with your item in order for Newegg to process your RMA. Newegg cannot process RMA returns that are incomplete; incomplete RMAs will be returned to you. In most cases, items sent in for RMA replacement will be replaced with a full item set, including accessories. Please return all accessories with your RMA." that is neweggs policy

maybe i will ask for a refund and see what happens, i already sourced an ioshield from ebay, and the oem asus manufacture well the customer's budget was the hard part :P

thanks your input made me think, and put the immediate refund into option as well.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Good news, that at least your getting it sorted.

However newegg's rma process is draconian to say the least imo. I mean come on, if oyur a builder, and do 10 machines a week, thats 520 mobo boxes, not to mention hard drive boxes, gcards, memory boxes et al.

That rule is just simply stupid. who is going to keep all their boxes once a job is complete.

With that said though, its only a couple of days old, and you should have the box somewhere. I have to admit, I keep mine for a couple of days (only till I get round to putting them in the recycling bin). Although I do keep my old boards in boxes. Keeps them safe from dust mites . Then have a clear out each year..

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

I know this does not help now, but the one thing I highly suggest when it comes to new egg is shoprunner. RMA's are very simple with them and you get free 2 day shipping on most items.

Aside from that, you can make another IO shield work as already suggested. Either way, your goal should be to get that server up and going again as quickly as possible regardless of the cost. Put your clients first, even if that means biting the bullet some times.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM

compnet will become famous soon enough

A "server" with a 40 dollar board? You got bigger problems coming than an I/O shield...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnet View Post
A "server" with a 40 dollar board? You got bigger problems coming than an I/O shield...
yep.

Skimping on hardware for a mission critical system - very shortsighted. I mean you paid at least $440 for the Server 2003 licence, why cheap out on the hardware?

Wait ..........

you did buy that licence, didn't you?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM

coffee has a spectacular aura aboutcoffee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to coffee

If it were me I would buy another board like it from new egg and swap and rma the board.

However, Sounds like time is critical. Go buy a decent board and swap it out. Handle the headaches after she is up and running again. Main thing is to get your customer up and running quickly. I dont think an RMA would be quick enough.

www.renuecomputers.com
Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 PM

yup software is all legit but i decided to go with the used asus, io shield is on the way from asus right now

the foxconn, i'm gonna try for a rma and refund to newegg after

i stuck with the asus, cause its a more reliable brand

thanks guys, hopefully it all goes well..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've got it settled that's good. I second the replies that suggest using quality parts over cheap stuff. Esp for mission criticals. I've never been a big fan of Foxconn personally or professionally. I feel Asus is much better too, but you do get what you pay for.

Secatores Customized Software
www.Secatore.com