Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM

GKenn01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Acer Aspire x3300 - drives not being recognised

Hi Guys & Gals

Please give your thoughts on this problem

Have a customer with the above mentioned computer, Issue was that is was v slow runnibng windows 7 hp and freezing continually. Very often after a hard reboot it would then freeze/lock on the acer home screen and would remain there until the "no fixed disc found... please insert boot disc etc " message came up. Looking at the bios neother the sata hd or DVD drive was being recognised.

What I have done os far

1. Clean pc on a large volume of dirt/dust in it
2. Checked power output tp both drives
3. Changed sata cable on hd
4. Tried to boot with just the hard drive attached.

I am still getting a blank acer screen upon boot up (almost like it is stuck on the bios) - I am thinking along the lines of faulty mb / sata connector on MB (as both drives arent being recognised). As it is a low profile system with only a pci / pci e ports I dont think i have the option of inserting a sata adaptor card.

Any input thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Graham
Cavehill Computer Services
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM

red12049 has a spectacular aura aboutred12049 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKenn01 View Post
Hi Guys & Gals

Please give your thoughts on this problem

Have a customer with the above mentioned computer, Issue was that is was v slow runnibng windows 7 hp and freezing continually. Very often after a hard reboot it would then freeze/lock on the acer home screen and would remain there until the "no fixed disc found... please insert boot disc etc " message came up. Looking at the bios neother the sata hd or DVD drive was being recognised.

What I have done os far

1. Clean pc on a large volume of dirt/dust in it
2. Checked power output tp both drives
3. Changed sata cable on hd
4. Tried to boot with just the hard drive attached.

I am still getting a blank acer screen upon boot up (almost like it is stuck on the bios) - I am thinking along the lines of faulty mb / sata connector on MB (as both drives arent being recognised). As it is a low profile system with only a pci / pci e ports I dont think i have the option of inserting a sata adaptor card.

Any input thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Graham
Cavehill Computer Services
Have you pulled the hard drive and tested it with another machine?

Rick
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

I would check the following in the following order:
  • Hard Drive - if it's not being detected properly the machine will wait for it at the POST screen
  • Memory
  • Motherboard
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Always, always, always run a full diagnostics first. If you have a shop, you have no reason or excuse not too. This is just basic stuff.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM

GKenn01 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do the explain the reason that both the hd and dvd optical drive dont work at the same time
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKenn01 View Post
How do the explain the reason that both the hd and dvd optical drive dont work at the same time
I am sorry, but unless you run a diagnostics and tell us what the results are, we are just going to be shooting in the dark and wasting our time. If you don't want to waste our time or yours, then please run a diagnostics and tell us what the results are. Also, tell us what you used and how long you ran the tests for.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM

JW The Computer Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JW The Computer Guy

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? I ask because I have an old machine that randomly can't find the HDD, resetting the BIOS fixes it.