Go Back   Technibble Forums > Site Stuff > Site Issues, Requests and Suggestions

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM

Chewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reputation?

I know some vBulletin boards implement a "Rep" system, has Technibble ever used such a thing? I saw a post mentioning an "I like this post" feature that they miss.
Possible problems could be potential abuse and too much value being attributed to it.

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

the scales on the top right of a post are for rep
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Actually someone else mentioned 'I like this post' feature in one of the threads today. It would be cool to have a 'thumbs up' 'thumbs down' type thing.

"x people liked this post"

or something along those lines.

But on the subject of Rep, you will see a small square to the bottom left of the scales. Blue is 'neutral'. Green means the community has provided a specified amount of 'positive' feedback. Red means that the community has provided a specified amount of 'negative' feedback about the Member.

You can test it out with me if you want. Click on the scales, 'I approve' and just type something like "YOU ARE AWESOME".

<that was a joke> :")

I guess the limitation is that it only refers to Members' general conduct on the Board, and feedback on specific posts is private (seen only by the person receiving the feedback).

I think the 'like' thing has been done on here before, and probably a reason it was removed.

Dunno.

Put me down for a vote to have it back though

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 04-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really see the point.
I like to think that I am capable of deciding which members I respect & which ones I don't without the opions of others.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Chewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ycr View Post
the scales on the top right of a post are for rep
Hah! Didn't even notice them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
It would be cool to have a 'thumbs up' 'thumbs down' type thing.

"x people liked this post"

or something along those lines.
Sounds cool to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
But on the subject of Rep, you will see a small square to the bottom left of the scales. Blue is 'neutral'. Green means the community has provided a specified amount of 'positive' feedback. Red means that the community has provided a specified amount of 'negative' feedback about the Member.

You can test it out with me if you want. Click on the scales, 'I approve' and just type something like "YOU ARE AWESOME".

<that was a joke> :")

I guess the limitation is that it only refers to Members' general conduct on the Board, and feedback on specific posts is private (seen only by the person receiving the feedback).

I think the 'like' thing has been done on here before, and probably a reason it was removed.

Dunno.

Put me down for a vote to have it back though
Ah, so that's what the little square means! Sorry, can't 'up'your rep here; that would just inflate your ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglian View Post
I don't really see the point.
I like to think that I am capable of deciding which members I respect & which ones I don't without the opions of others.
Your thoughts mirror many peoples', I think. There is a danger that members may consider a rep ranking the definitive guide to any member's value to the board and community.
I was moderator on a pretty busy forum many moons ago and when the rep system was enabled, it was badly abused (mainly because the place was, and still is, populated mainly by adolescents with poor inter-personal skills) and a thread rating websites for their content and inaccessibility caused havoc.

I like the way TN and its Forum works; the way people are mostly helpful, honest and level-headed. I wouldn't want anything to change that.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

I think I was the guy missing that feature.

To the best of my knowledge, it was turned off a few weeks ago when Bryce was having some server issues and wanted to run with as few bells and whistles as possible. It never came back on.

Sure, it didn't serve much good but I still liked it.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Personally, I like the rep system. I aspire to be labled "on a distinguished road". As a good incentive to help others, I take it as a challenge to earn the respect/appreciation of others. There are alot of good people in this forum and it shows when you see support for a fellow member in trouble or hot threads where techs are really trying hard to solve another member's tech issue. Don't get me wrong; I'm not necessarily looking for approval, I am aiming to be the best tech I can be in this business. It doesn't hurt my chances when I throw myself at helping to solve another deserving tech.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

While I do appreciate the rep points I have received, they are not exactly I goal I have in mind . . . ehem, some of you guys might have noticed that. I am here to help, do not get me wrong, but I am not here to stroke peoples ego or get the approval of others.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Mr.Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
While I do appreciate the rep points I have received, they are not exactly I goal I have in mind . . . ehem, some of you guys might have noticed that. I am here to help, do not get me wrong, but I am not here to stroke peoples ego or get the approval of others.
Agreed. If you need to have your ego stroked, or need approval, you probably don't belong on this forum! Having said that, I have members here I know and like and that's just icing on the cake.

Last edited by Mr.Mike; 04-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

+1 to pcx, and SP.

I agree whole heartedly. We are here to help each other, this can be business related, or tech related. I have to admit, i'm not the best ever tech in the world. My knowledge of servers and networking is next to none. But in other things, having been in business for a number of years, I know a bad idea etc when I see one, and will point it out.

Like PCX (sorry to bring your name into this mate). I don't beat around the bush, if I see a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer (when I can be bothered replying to one). Else I will post lengthy replies. (Most of my posts are lengthy for some reason lol). But to the best of my knowledge it is for the good of the thread or the item in question.

The vast majority of techs on here, look to help others out. My thoughts are, that if you answer more questions then you ask, then your going about things the right way.

It's always nice to read when your given a +rep, but its not the end of the world. Just makes you feel a bit better, knowing that your advice has helped someone .

Hint hint, can I have some more please <joke>.

Nige
Cadishead Computers