Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Wheelie is on a distinguished road

Windows 8 could be the beginning of the end of Windows/Microsoft as we know it. They're waaaay late to the table with tablet/smartphone hardware and operating system. The Windows 8 Beta just rolled out and there is no "value add" with it (try it yourself). Windows 8 hardware is non-existent. Microsoft has partnered with Nokia to roll out hardware but ... well you know ... it doesn't work too well without an OS ... so Nokia is dying a slow death for this an other reasons. Google and Apple are kicking some serious MS a$$ right now. Apple, already the world's most valuable company, hit $600 billion in capitalization level this month.

Microsoft might just be going down the toilet. I think the next 10 years will show a very dominant rise in Android and iOS as the operating systems of choice for desktops, laptops, tablets, and smart phones.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM

Jeffreynya is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not to sure about that. The MS footprint is huge, I think it will take a lot longer than 10 years even if 8 flops. I think a windows 8 table the size of an ipad that can dock and be used as a fully functional PC in an office setting will be a step forward. However there are some UI issue that will need to be worked out first. It would be cool to have a 8 tablet that can run all MS and other windows based software under the metro UI but then when its docks it will use a standard win7 type profile.

Plus if the can get a 8 based Phone that can work with the same software it would be a great combo.

If tablets and touchscreens are the future I think MS is on the right track. They just need to listen more closely to their customers.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM

trendless is an unknown quantity at this point

As with RIM, they have a profitable and trusted enterprise division...how much well they actually suffer as a result of 8? Well just look at Vista -- they opened the door for all of this back then and lost a bunch of market share. And now they're back raking in the profits again (see recent quarter results). Enterprise doesn't move that quickly, so in all likelihood many may skip 8 if there aren't compelling reasons not to (...although I've heard very little but glowing reviews of Server 2012 beta). Workstations in the workplace will be the norm for a long time still, although with the movement to virtualizing workspaces you may see less employee hardware that isn't employee-owned (byod anyone?). But NO one has as widely used or supported an employee-facing platform as Microsoft has with Windows. Yes, I'd like to think that more organizations of all sizes will start giving Linux a chance, but I look around and see no infrastructure for that. Even on this forum, how many service providers are there here, and how many focus on, push, or specialize in Linux for the desktop? How many of any of our customers are willing to even consider leaving Windows and Office behind? There are many reasons for it, many of which don't really hold up under scrutiny, but it's true nonetheless. And even if everything migrates to the cloud/app paradigm, and everything's accessible via the net and cross platform... this is where you can almost see a world sans Bill's baby, but consumers will still be [comfortable] using what they've always used. And for the majority of them, the window through which they'll be looking at their information and programs, data and apps, is going to be the same as it's always been ... for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 AM

myPCTechs is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

The moment I purchase my first hybrid tablet/laptop it's getting Windows 8. Right now the hardware isn't small/powerful enough but it will be within a years time and I'm going to love the ability to dominate in both realms. 'iPad mode' and then 'real computer mode' with a flip of the screen.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM

Interesting article. Wall Street & corporate CIO's seem to generally like what they see Microsoft doing with Windows 8 in regards to tablets, smart phones and PC's. Especially for the corporate enterprise arena.
  • High expectations for Windows 8 boost Microsoft share price Friday
  • Windows 8 could shake up tablet market, now dominated by Apple
  • Chief information officers "trust Microsoft more than they trust Apple" - Gary Beach, publisher of CIO Magazine
  • "There's significant interest in Windows 8 tablets only because enterprises assume they will be compatible with existing Windows apps," Bajarin said.

Gary Beach, publisher of CIO Magazine, which is geared to chief information officers, called Windows 8 "the most important launch" for the company since Windows 3.0 was introduced in 1990.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Someone already said it. Even if Microsoft just threw in the towel right now, it would take 10 years or more for them to go under. They are that big. The thing is though each time they put out another "Vista" more people go to the platform that actually works. That being Mac. They are losing more and more people by the day. Things like the iPad and iPhone only serve to snag people over to the Mac side. The haters don't want to see it so they cover their eyes and ears and yell at the top of their lungs...lol

As for linux, there are those who are giving it a shot but its really so fragmented as to be a non-issue.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM

It seems the market is shifting toward Apple products for home/residential use and Windows for the corporate/enterprise world. I hate that because my primary market is home/residential and the Apple Stores get most of the Apple product repair business. The Apple Stores (and clone stores) around most metro areas have lines waiting for products/services.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 AM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
It seems the market is shifting toward Apple products for home/residential use and Windows for the corporate/enterprise world. I hate that because my primary market is home/residential and the Apple Stores get most of the Apple product repair business. The Apple Stores (and clone stores) around most metro areas have lines waiting for products/services.

I have mixed feelings about it. As a consumer and a computer power user, I love Macs. As a business owner whos #1 income source is infected computers its hurting business. Customers that use to call at least every month or two who got Macs never call anymore, or rarely. If things keep going at their current rate I'd say most techs will have a choice in a few years. Be a sys admin somewhere or work and the Apple store.